The primary responsibilities of the Contracts Administrator / Paralegal include preparing contracts, negotiating terms, reviewing existing contracts, explaining terms to stakeholders, ensuring compliance, analyzing risks, and maintaining contract records. Additionally, you will also support Opal’s HR team and Business Operations teams from time to time with various corporate projects and initiatives, including ensuring we are compliant to do business in locations we are active in while proactively auditing processes, practices and documentation. This position reports to the VP of Finance and Operations with a dotted line to the General Counsel.
You are a detail-oriented and highly organized professional that will play a crucial role in managing our contractual agreements, ensuring compliance, mitigating risks, and facilitating effective communication between internal stakeholders and external partners. You possess strong analytical skills,a solid understanding of contract law and negotiation processes, and the ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders.
Opal is the planning platform that enables marketers to plan, create, and calendar their content in one place. By working in Opal, teams get the visibility they need to stay aligned and collaborate efficiently. Visit workwithopal.com to learn why Opal is trusted by leading brands including Target, Starbucks, General Motors, and many more!
- Review and draft contracts, negotiate terms with customers and vendors. Use independent judgment to review proposed or revised agreements from third parties, escalating as necessary to Company attorneys.
- Use independent judgment to update standard agreement templates (e.g., NDAs, MSAs, consulting agreements, SaaS agreements and related amendments and appendices) as needed, as well as agreement playbooks.
- Review legal provisions in vendor service terms, proposals and statements of work, including those related to scientific and laboratory services and clinical trials
- Use independent judgment to review proposed or revised agreements from third parties, escalating as necessary to Company attorneys.
- Assist Company attorneys and stakeholders with updating agreement templates, playbooks, contract repository and alternate clause library.
- Manage the intake process for contract requests, allocating contracts out to appropriate members of the team based on subject matter, location and other relevant data points.
- Provide guidance to stakeholders on corporate contracting processes and fallback negotiating positions established for routine contract provisions.
- Review, interpret and understand all contract terms including milestone requirements and reporting obligations; draft contract-related notices and other correspondence.
- Manage the company’s contract repositories, internal files, data rooms, and other storage locations to ensure they are maintained with current, accurate and up-to-date information; periodically spot checking entries for accuracy and completeness.
- Prepare, edit and proof documents, reports and presentations that are generally critical or confidential in nature.
- Interact with company contractors and employees at all organizational levels to gather and synthesize information.
- Ensure compliance with internal contracting standards and processes as well as identify and track both standard and non-standard terms.
- Assist the cross-functional operations team with building, maintaining and administering contracting workflows, repositories and permissions.
- Coordinate and respond to questions from stakeholders about contracting tools and processes, including the day-to-day management of enablement documentation and training materials for stakeholders.
- Archive executed contracts in the Ironclad software platform by reviewing the signed agreement and updating the contract properties to capture key contract terms more effectively.
- Ensure contracts are reviewed, approved, and executed in accordance with company guidelines and policy.
- Administer contract expiration and renewal process; coordinate contract closeout activities, including terminations in Ironclad.
- Manage the contract signature inbox in outlook and route contracts to designated signers.
- Assist in the training of Ironclad end users and respond to any workflow or process related questions about the tool.
- Assist with other legal, HR, and operational projects as needed.
Skills, Experience, Knowledge:
- 5+ years of experience in a contracts administrator role or similar.
- Proficient in contract management softwares including Ironclad and Salesforce, Microsoft Office Suite, and the Google Workspace
- Strong understanding of contract law, contract types, and legal terminology.
- Knowledge and experience with data privacy regulations and schemes, including GDPR, and the review and negotiation of data privacy agreements, is a plus.
- Experience with a software-as-a-service company is a plus.
- Analytical mindset with the ability to identify and assess potential risks.
- Experience working with outside vendors; initiation and negotiating contracts.
- Comfortable managing multiple tasks and priorities within tight deadlines.
- Skilled at prioritizing tasks, time, and project management.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to improvise and operate under ambiguous conditions and thrive under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with employees at all levels, from interns to Executives, as well as working with clients and outside vendors.
- Collaborative and team-oriented attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Natural alignment with Opal’s Values: Open & Honest, Passionate, Accountable, Level-Up, Intentional, Teamwork, and Excellence
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Legal Studies, or a related field required.
- A Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree is a plus.
- Professional certification in contract management (e.g., CPCM, CCCM, CFCM, CCMA) is a plus.
- Individuals with equivalent skills and experience in lieu of formal education and certifications will be considered.
Some benefits our team members enjoy include:
- Competitive, market-leading compensation package, including stock options
- 100% company-paid Medical/Rx, Dental, and Vision Insurance for employees (plus company-subsidized dependent coverage)
- Employer funded Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health, Dependent Care, Commuter, Parking
- Company-paid Life/AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance (with voluntary buy up options)
- Pet Insurance for your furry friend
- Unlimited Paid Time Vacation, Paid Sick Time, and 21 Paid Company Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave & Back-to-Work Program
- 401(k) and Roth Retirement Plans
- Company-sponsored outreach & activity programs
Opal is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment. We believe a diverse workplace promotes innovation and enhances decision making. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, or veteran status.
Must be eligible to live and work in the United States.
Salary: $75k+ DOE