Our portfolio companies are hiring in Portland and beyond. They're looking for bright, resourceful folks to be part of their growth. Check out opportunities with our startups below.
We are currently looking for passionate and inclusive instructors to help us revise, modify, and author content for our Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning courses that focus on eliminating the academic equity gaps experienced explicitly by Black, Latinx, Indigenous, and low-income students. This flexible work can be done from home, anywhere in the US. The work can be either part-time or full-time and is milestone-based rather than a fixed number of hours per week.
- Experience working with students from Black, Latinx, Indigenous, and low-income backgrounds, and a strong aspiration to help remove barriers for these students
- Bachelor’s Degree in the field of the referenced course (Mathematics of any kind), equivalent work experience, or adjacent fields of study
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time and project management skills, including the ability to meet project deadlines
- Extremely reliable: When you take on a task, you see it through to the best of your ability
- Great people skills: you respect and enjoy working with people and organizations to help them succeed at their objectives
- While this work is primarily asynchronous, you must have availability to meet once per week (US Pacific time zone) with a Lumen Course Product Manager and other SMEs working on the course project
- Interest in evidence-based teaching practices and pedagogy as it applies to learning within your subject area
- Core Content Author: Create the expository content (text, images, video) used in Lumen courses, and write transition content to fill gaps as we rearrange pieces of the course.
- Question Author: Create outcome-aligned assessment questions with feedback for practice opportunities, self-checks, and quizzes.
- Interactive Activity Author: Design interactive activities that allow students to get additional practice with complex concepts.
- Assignment Author: Create human-graded assignments, discussion prompts, and teacher resources for guided lessons.
- Classroom Activity Author: Create powerpoints and in-class activities that Lumen instructors use in the classroom.
- Reviewer/Editor: Edit and proofread content and questions.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Reviewer: Evaluate examples for cultural relevance and inclusion principles and suggest specific improvements.
- OHM Question Author: Create and code algorithmic questions in the Lumen OHM platform, or write questions that we then code into regenerative questions within OHM.
The ideal candidate is someone with lived experience of Black, Latinx, Indigenous, and students from low-income communities. However, we encourage you to apply if you have a deep passion for equity in education and are excited about these tasks, even if you don’t meet the exact description of our ideal candidate. Find out more about our company here. Please note this is an Independent Contractor role, and you will receive a 1099.
Lumen Learning is a growing company doing something that has not been done before. We’re building affordable course materials designed to strengthen learning using open educational resources (OER). Our courses provide high-quality, interactive learning content and personalized feedback to help students study and learn more effectively, with plenty of opportunities to engage in active learning. We apply learning science principles and analyze learning data to identify where students struggle and make targeted improvements that strengthen learning.