Our portfolio companies are hiring in Portland and beyond. They're looking for bright, resourceful folks to be part of their growth. Check out opportunities with our startups below.
Note: ESS is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees and community therefore we require COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment.
Catalyzing a cleaner future.
ESS is a globally recognized leader in sustainable energy storage and is consistently identified as one of the most innovative and exciting technology players in energy storage. Trading on the NYSE (GWH), ESS is poised to be one of the fastest growing energy technology companies in the world, with projects already across 4 continents. The ESS vision is about enabling the decarbonization of the grid by enabling us to achieve up to 100% of our electricity from clean, sustainable renewable energy.
These are ambitious goals, and we are pursuing them with passion. At ESS, we are leading the energy transition, creating the sustainable energy solutions of the future to help individuals, businesses and communities change energy into lasting value.
ESS is hiring a Deal Desk and Proposal Manager. The Deal Desk and Proposal Manager will play a fundamental role in achieving our ambitious growth objectives. As the Deal Desk and Proposal Manager, you will lead the creation and delivery of business proposals in response to requests for proposals (RFPs) and related commercial requests and be responsible for ensuring timeliness, accuracy, quality, and specification requirements of the proposals. You will devise strategies, delegate tasks, produce reports, and prepare presentations for clients or management. The Deal Desk and Proposal Manager will work with the broader Go-to-Market (GTM) team and collaborate with other ESS functional stakeholders to drive the process of developing high quality, responsive proposals offering to customers (external, internal).
What you’ll do at ESS.
- Partner closely with Sales, Solution Engineering, and Product to prepare and submit effective and organized proposals to prospective customers.
- Review customer requirements documents and work with respective functional leads to ensure optimum solutions that are compliant, compelling, and highly rated by customers.
- Act as the internal project lead for each proposal and drive the process of content creation and deal reviews with functional stakeholders and executives. Clearly communicate expectations and project timelines and ensure proposals are delivered in a timely manner with required reviews and approvals.
- Become the owner of the proposal and deal desk function and drive process standardization and accountability with relevant stakeholders.
- Become the trusted partner of the Sales team and leverage ESS proposal performance, customer feedback, and market insights to inform sales and deal strategy.
What you bring to the table.
- Passion to help solve climate change. Long duration energy storage is the linchpin of a renewable energy future. This is a great way to become more involved by working closely with utilities, independent power producers and commercial / industrial customers to deploy long duration energy storage.
- Technical chops. While a bachelor’s degree in Engineering is preferred, it is not required. What is required is a willingness and the technical capacity to thoroughly understand the ESS product portfolio and our customers’ needs in great detail.
- Domain knowledge. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in Renewable Energy, Energy Technology and / or Engineering and Construction Services. It is expected that you have a working understanding of how the power and utility markets work today, and an interest to become an expert in the future.
- Extensive writing experience. Candidates should have a minimum of 5 years of related work experience and at least 1 year of technical writing experience. Experience developing winning proposals and coordinating proposal responses is a huge plus, as is advanced modeling skills. The ideal candidate will have experience proposal writing with large, complex opportunities with contract values in excess of $10 million.
- Project management experience and strong interpersonal skills. Candidates must have experience leading and managing multiple proposal projects simultaneously involving multiple stakeholders and tight timelines.
- Initiative and comfort with ambiguity. The deal desk function is still in its early days, and candidates must be comfortable working with ambiguous tasks and have the initiative to introduce structure and efficiency. At the same time, this means candidates have the opportunity to build from ground up one of the most critical and highly visible function within the organization.
Benefits of working at ESS.
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, ESS offers Company assisted medical, dental and vision insurance, approved PPE Reimbursement, flex spending account, 8 paid holidays, 401K, and a competitive PTO accrual.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.