Our portfolio companies are hiring in Portland and beyond. They're looking for bright, resourceful folks to be part of their growth. Check out opportunities with our startups below.
Note: ESS is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees and community therefore we require COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment.
Catalyzing a cleaner future.
At ESS (NYSE: GWH), our mission is to accelerate global decarbonization by providing safe, sustainable, long-duration energy storage that powers people, communities, and businesses with clean, renewable energy anytime and anywhere it’s needed. As more renewable energy is added to the grid, long- duration energy storage is essential to providing the reliability and resiliency we need when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing.
Our technology uses earth-abundant iron, salt, and water to deliver environmentally safe solutions capable of providing up to 12 hours of flexible energy capacity for commercial and utility-scale energy storage applications. Established in 2011, ESS Inc. enables project developers, independent power producers, utilities, and other large energy users to deploy reliable, sustainable long-duration energy storage solutions. For more information visit www.essinc.com.
ESS is seeking a dynamic Data Scientist with a desire to transform large amounts of complex data into novel insights while contributing to growth of the green energy economy. You will be a key member of the data team, tasked with growing ESS’s data infrastructure and improving the utility and visibility of data across the entire company. Specifically, as a Data Scientist you will lead and assist in the collection, analysis, and visualization of data, allowing teams to make smarter decisions and deliver even better products.
What you’ll do at ESS.
- Collaborate with battery scientists and manufacturing engineers to analyze data and generate insights to improve battery manufacturing and performance
- Develop and own a wide range of reproducible and shareable ad-hoc analyses
- Use machine learning techniques to develop scalable predictive and prescriptive models on time series data
- Collaborate with software engineers to deploy data-centric applications and automation of reports and dashboards
- Assist with the development and maintenance of data pipelines and databases
- Apply advanced statistical models and machine learning to extract and refine models such as:
- Optimal charge and discharge power levels to maximize round trip efficiencies
- Optimal operating conditions to minimize parasitic power levels while maintaining performance
What you bring to the table.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience working as a Data Scientist in a fast-paced setting
- Extensive experience with data analytics and visualization, as well as dashboard development
- Strong foundation in applied statistics and with experience in both predictive and prescriptive analytics
- Experience with machine learning techniques such as linear models, time-series forecasting, or neural networks
- Experience creating and/or optimizing data pipelines, architectures, and data models.
- Knowledge of different ETL design and development methodologies.
- Experience with SSIS, SSAS
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, R, SQL, C#
- Proficiency in SQL relational databases and/or NoSQL databases
We’d love to see:
- Passion for clean energy and a desire to help spearhead the electrification of the global energy grid
- Experiencing owning projects and working with minimal direction
- Excellent communications skills presenting architecture topics to multiple levels of business and technology stakeholders
Benefits of working at ESS.
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, ESS offers Company assisted medical, dental and vision, 401k with Company match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), a generous PTO accrual, and 8 paid holidays.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.