Our portfolio companies are hiring in Portland and beyond. They're looking for bright, resourceful folks to be part of their growth. Check out opportunities with our startups below.
As a field operations lead you will be the face of our company to our customers.
The Field Operations Lead for Community Energy Labs coordinates and supervises installs and configures our equipment on our customer sites, which allows our cloud-based control algorithms to receive data and operate equipment. This helps our customers stay comfortable while saving energy and the planet.
// YOUR TYPICAL DAY MIGHT INCLUDE
- Traveling to customer sites to meet with facility and energy managers, electricians and controls technicians
- Walking the facility, entering mechanical & electrical rooms and climbing up ladders to the roof to document building equipment using a tablet/phone
- Revising installation guide, scopes of work (SOW) and bill of materials (BOM) in tandem with sales, customer success, software and building engineering teams
- Coordinating and scheduling work with customer stakeholders, local electricians, suppliers, vendors and internal engineering and business teams.
- Managing inventory, purchase & work orders, invoices and basic accounting
- Supervising, documenting and troubleshooting installation of recommended equipment on site
- Remotely monitoring installed sites to make recommendations to the building owner or the software team that will help to enhance the performance.
// What you will need to be or become good at doing
- Coordinating with multiple stakeholders for scheduling site work and collating technical documentation
- Updating frequently asked questions and customer support documentation and document technical work so that others can understand
- Providing top notch customer service and a professional demeanor while answering customer questions onsite, online and over the phone
- Understanding single line electrical diagrams
- Reading architectural, mechanical and electrical plans
- Interfacing with IT to solve problems
- Displaying a flexible and creative approach to solving problems
- Learning new things, trying out new ways of working and making improvements
- Giving feedback on improving data input methods
- Developing strong interpersonal skills, including empathy, conflict resolution, positivity and teamwork
- Communicating skillfully (both in English and Spanish preferred) using both verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Exercising good navigation skills and proficiency using navigation applications
// CUSTOMER ONBOARDING ACTIVITIES
- Inventory customer building(s)’ HVAC, thermostats, and related equipment and document using tablet, computer & phone
- Make detailed notes about the building envelope, electrical infrastructure, networks, control systems and the installed HVAC equipment.
- Provide input into prioritizing and coordinating which buildings are good candidates for metering equipment installation that would have the biggest impact
- Identify equipment configurations and bill of materials (BOM) based on the results from field audits, installation requirements, functionality, user experience and cost trade offs.
- Develop sensor recommendations to augment the existing equipment capabilities to give the software the data it needs to best control the building’s equipment.
// INSTALLATION ACTIVITIES
- Coordinate with Operations team to order, prepare and commission parts, schedule labor & equipment, and update inventory
- Handle purchase orders, expense reimbursements and basic reporting and accounting
- Install edge device equipment and sensor components of our solution
- Perform basic commissioning and software configurations to verify data transmission to the cloud servers and receipt of control commands from servers
- Troubleshoot building equipment, network infrastructure, and our own software and hardware components to determine the root cause of any issues.
- Configure linux and sensor devices (CEL will train) to allow communication between the edge devices and equipment without disrupting the customer’s network.
- Work with IT to facilitate and implement troubleshooting solutions.
- Interface, manage, train and supervise licensed electricians and field staff on how to quickly and correctly install energy meters, CTs and other monitoring equipment.
- Oversee installation of energy meters and other equipment by licensed electricians
- This position initially has no supervisory responsibility over any employees in the assigned product or program, but may oversee work by electricians or other trade professionals.
- This position is a flexible, full-time (.7-1 Full Time Equivalent) position that may occasionally require extra hours and weekend work that is not compensated as overtime.
- This position will require physically challenging work such as climbing ladders, accessing rooftops and basements, and crawling into tight spaces to inventory equipment and connect devices in the field.
- This position will see regular trips to customer sites which may require overnight stays.
- 5+ years in the trades, trades supervision, construction management, field operations or similar experience
- 2+ years experience in vendor management, customer service, external interfacing experience
- Must maintain valid driver's license, a good driving record and have regular access to a reliable vehicle
- The ideal candidate will have 2+ years’ experience with HVAC systems, device installation and networking at customer sites
- Construction, trades or project management experience with commercial buildings or K12 a plus
- Experience with commercial control systems such as Honeywell Alerton or Johnson MetaSys a plus
NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT ESSENTIAL
- Certifications such as: CxA, BCxA, LEED® AP.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- $50,000-80,000 per year commensurate with experience
- Paid time off
- Health benefits
- Remote & Flexible work arrangements
ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES DESIRED
- Project experience working with DDC systems, Linux scripts, software integration, commissioning, calibration or troubleshooting
- Desire, ability and willingness to learn, grow and change professionally.
- Commitment to advancing state of the art and innovative technology for the betterment of communities, the planet and humanity.
- Experience working with emerging technology, innovation or new product development along the entire customer-value chain in an enterprise environment.
- Creatively developing strategies to overcome early stage market barriers.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency, electric utility operations, and/or energy markets.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work in an ambiguous, fast-moving environment while driving clarity and solutions.
- Resourcefulness in setting priorities and executing.
- Personal integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission.
YES, THAT MEANS YOU!
We are intentionally a diverse group of people, and we're eager to keep growing that diversity. If our mission and this job speak to you and you have the interest and ability to work smart, learn, and grow with us then we want you to apply for this job. Even if this is not the exact right opportunity for you, we want to know about you and keep you in mind for future posts.
Community Energy Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
WHAT WE DO
Community Energy Labs mission is to affordably enable communities’ building decarbonization goals by 2030. Our technology lets buildings use energy when clean sources of power are available and use less energy overall by making smart decisions about when and how energy is used. We primarily work with communities and schools, whose buildings make up nearly 30% of the commercial floor space in the US!
Be part of the solution. Our software combines cutting edge algorithms, machine learning and traditional control techniques to lower cost and manage energy. We combine that with an intuitive user interface that doesn’t require a PhD in mechanical engineering to make saving money and the planet easy for everyone - even cash-strapped schools with overworked building operators.
CEL's core AI-powered clean building control platform was a regional winner of CleanTech Open's 2020 international accelerator, an overall winner in the 2020 Madrona Venture Labs Go Vertical challenge, a 2021 impel+ building innovator, EPRI Incubate Energy 2021 cohort member and 2021 US Department of Energy SBIR awardee.