Our portfolio companies are hiring in Portland and beyond. They're looking for bright, resourceful folks to be part of their growth. Check out opportunities with our startups below.
We’re seeking an Operations wizard to join our entrepreneurial team, someone who can support our growth. As an ideal candidate, you have people and operations management experience in a highly dynamic and ever changing setting.
The Operations Manager will play a critical role in the day-to-day management of our company operations, integration and planning as our business grows. Primary responsibilities include hiring and recruitment, payroll and benefits, and leading business operations teams. This role works at the intersection of internal and external customers and partners and requires excellent communication and coordination skills. You’ll play an essential role in training and coaching our vendors and staff. If you’re seeking an opportunity to help grow a 🚀 business and you value self-learning and operational excellence, we’d love to meet you!
// YOUR TYPICAL DAY MIGHT INCLUDE
- Fostering a cooperative and harmonious working climate conducive to employee morale and productivity through upholding and reinforcing CEL’s FACTS based culture - Focus. Accountability. Courage. Transparency. Sharing.
- Coordinating a high-performance team of internal and external partners.
- Reinforcing planning, integration, and prioritization using tools such as our Monday.com work planning system.
- Attracting talented team members and maintaining our network of exCELlentes.
- Managing payroll and benefits and making recommendations to management on how to execute changes that support a growing, multidisciplinary business.
- Leading team meetings with all levels of the organization.
- Working seamlessly with partners and peers to achieve operational objectives. For example, working with department leads to integrate company-wide Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) in their team meetings and projects.
- Executing day-to-day tactical tasks and long term strategic plans related to operations.
- Building bias-free sourcing, hiring, onboarding, and training processes for new and existing employees and carrying out the day to day of this work.
- Overseeing 30/60/90 and professional development vis-a-vis company and departmental goals.
- Developing individuals for future advancement.
// OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE & LEADERSHIP
- Oversee business operations and be accountable for operational excellence
- Set priorities and agendas for operational teams and coach relevant team members
- Balance competing priorities and drive new initiatives to improve business operations
// HIRING & RECRUITMENT
- Source, hire, and onboard new employees across all functions of the business
- Work closely with peers and business leaders to understand operational objectives and align hiring and sourcing strategies accordingly
- Establish best practices and processes for unbiased hiring
- Create career development paths to enable employees to grow their skills and impact
// PAYROLL & BENEFITS
- Run payroll and benefits reimbursements on the cadence established by the business
- Assess current payroll and benefits offerings and make recommendations to evolve as the business grows and our employee needs and business eligibility change
- Lead and manage any changes related to payroll and benefits
// COMPLIANCE & REGULATORY
- Take action to be in compliance with all state or federal business and payroll tax registrations and filings
- Assist on finance operations and provide leadership to ensure team members are accountable and deadlines are met
// PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Day-to-day responsibilities will be computer-based
- Some travel may be required for conferences or support with customers
- No heavy lifting is expected
- This position may initially have 1-2 direct reports and be responsible for managing multiple relationships with fractional contractors and vendors (for example finance, accounting, legal).
SALARY, HOURS OF WORK & TRAVEL
- $75,000-90,000 per year commensurate with experience.
- Our company is fully remote and this position is no exception; however, we would give strong preference to a candidate local to the Portland, Oregon area or in the Pacific Time zone.
- Some travel responsibilities (for partner and customer prospect visits, conferences, occasional company get-togethers, etc.).
- This position is a flexible, full-time (.8-1 Full Time Equivalent) position that may very occasionally require extra hours and weekend work that is not compensated as overtime.
- Bachelor's degree, or, equivalent practical experience on the job
- 5+ years experience in operations management or similar role
- Familiar with remote teams and software tools for communication and collaboration
- Experience working at a startup or company with 10-50 employees is a big plus
- Passion for valuing and embracing diverse teams and thinking in tech and business.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Able to respond quickly to a shifting reality and adjust initiatives and priorities accordingly.
- Good attention to detail.
- Intense focus and rock star time management, prioritization and organization skills.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Organized and able to juggle a variety of functions and projects simultaneously.
- Professional judgment in finding the best solution to organizational dilemmas.
ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES DESIRED
- Previously responsible for recruiting and onboarding.
- Experience working with emerging technology, innovation, or new product development along the entire customer value chain in an enterprise environment.
- Knowledge of organizational effectiveness methodologies such as AGILE, Lean, SixSigma.
- Familiarity with business and financial principles.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency, electric utility business, operations, and/or energy markets.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work in an ambiguous, fast-moving environment while also driving toward clarity and solutions.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and executing.
- Possesses personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission.
- A knack for balancing self-advocacy/development with a community orientation.
YES, THAT MEANS YOU!
We’ve read the research and we know that some folks might read our post and think “Oh, gee, well I only have nine out of ten qualifications.” If our mission and this job speak to you and you have the interest and ability to work smart, learn, and grow with us then we want you to apply for this job. Even if this is not the exact right opportunity for you, we want to know about you and keep you in mind for future posts.
Community Energy Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
WHAT WE DO
Community Energy Labs mission is to affordably enable communities’ building decarbonization goals by 2030. Our technology lets buildings use energy when clean sources of power are available and use less energy overall by making smart decisions about when and how energy is used. We primarily work with communities and schools, whose buildings make up nearly 30% of the commercial floor space in the US!
Be part of the solution. Our software combines cutting edge algorithms, machine learning and traditional control techniques to lower cost and manage energy. We combine that with an intuitive user interface that doesn’t require a PhD in mechanical engineering to make saving money and the planet easy for everyone - even cash-strapped schools with overworked building operators.
CEL's core AI-powered clean building control platform was a regional winner of CleanTech Open's 2020 international accelerator, an overall winner in the 2020 Madrona Venture Labs Go Vertical challenge, a 2021 impel+ building innovator, EPRI Incubate Energy 2021 cohort member and 2021 US Department of Energy SBIR awardee.