Our portfolio companies are hiring in Portland and beyond. They're looking for bright, resourceful folks to be part of their growth. Check out opportunities with our startups below.
Note: ESS is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees and community therefore we require COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment.
Catalyzing a cleaner future
At ESS (NYSE: GWH), our mission is to accelerate global decarbonization by providing safe, sustainable, long-duration energy storage that powers people, communities, and businesses with clean, renewable energy anytime and anywhere it’s needed. As more renewable energy is added to the grid, long- duration energy storage is essential to providing the reliability and resiliency we need when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing.
Our technology uses earth-abundant iron, salt, and water to deliver environmentally safe solutions capable of providing up to 12 hours of flexible energy capacity for commercial and utility-scale energy storage applications. Established in 2011, ESS Inc. enables project developers, independent power producers, utilities, and other large energy users to deploy reliable, sustainable long-duration energy storage solutions. For more information visit www.essinc.com.
ESS is seeking a Senior Software Network & Controls Engineer (Battery Energy Storage Systems). The Senior Software Network & Controls Engineer will lead efforts to ensure Network and Controls requirements for BESS (Battery Energy Storage Systems) projects are fulfilled to company and customer expectations. This is a customer facing position, to interface Software Network and control systems in utility scale battery storage systems throughout the United States and internationally.
What you'll do at ESS
- Lead the design and review of network and controls area of BESS, including power conversion systems (Inverters & DC/DC Converters), isolation and power transformers, medium voltage switchgear, protection and control systems, grounding, low and medium voltage ac and dc cable systems, and plant auxiliary equipment.
- Will design, program, commission, and troubleshoot control systems in the utility/power sector, including programming of automation controllers, SCADA systems, and HMIs.
- Implement industrial automation communication protocols such as Modbus, serial, TCP/IP, Ethernet, network cyber security, fire walls in the utility domain.
- Conduct and review design studies on components and systems to establish equipment ratings, optimize designs, and establish operating parameters to achieve a safe, well-engineered, and cost-effective project designs.
- Create Network Communication Diagrams /architecture.
- Generate point mapping for all the hardwired and digital I/O for BESS controls systems
- Generate communications designs to allow SCADA interfacing and management of whitelisted devices.
- Create and review technical portions of RFP and contract documents.
- Support estimating of company and 3rd party developed projects by preparing preliminary designs for proposed projects.
- Review work instructions to ensure compliance with industry and client standards.
- Perform technical review of vendor equipment submittals to ensure acceptability to company, and client requirements and adherence to specifications and industry standards.
- Support the direction of suppliers on project construction sites to ensure projects are constructed according to specific designs.
- Guide project installation and commissioning.
- Ensure projects conform with federal, state, local, and company engineering standards and specifications.
- Visits project job sites during pre-construction and construction activities to support project needs.
What you bring to the table
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience in network and controls in utility/power sector.
- Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) network and controls experience is strongly desired. With a Master’s degree less experience will be considered.
- Knowledgeable on network and controls, communication protocols, Modbus mapping, IP addresses, network switches, local/network controllers, end user controls necessary to operate the battery system, and information gathered by the battery management system, visualized through graphs and charts.
- Technical and non-technical writing.
- US Industry Standards (i.e. - ANSI, IEEE, NEMA, NEC, UL).
- Design for constructability.
- Utility Interconnection Facilities for Renewable Generation Facilities.
Benefits of working at ESS
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, ESS offers a Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; Flex spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, and a competitive PTO accrual.
ESS is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees and community therefore we require COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.