At ESS (NYSE: GWH), our mission is to accelerate global decarbonization by providing safe, sustainable, long-duration energy storage that powers people, communities, and businesses with clean, renewable energy anytime and anywhere it’s needed. As more renewable energy is added to the grid, long- duration energy storage is essential to providing the reliability and resiliency we need when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing.
Our technology uses earth-abundant iron, salt, and water to deliver environmentally safe solutions capable of providing up to 12 hours of flexible energy capacity for commercial and utility-scale energy storage applications. Established in 2011, ESS Inc. enables project developers, independent power producers, utilities, and other large energy users to deploy reliable, sustainable long-duration energy storage solutions. For more information visit www.essinc.com.
ESS is seeking a dynamic Staff Mechanical Engineer with a strong background in mechanical design, thermodynamics, fluid flow and structural analysis. The role will focus on the packaging of ESS’s advanced battery technology to ensure product life, cost, and efficiency. The successful candidate will have excellent project management skills and an ability to manage multiple projects effortlessly.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for sustainability and the environment, will thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting, be self-motivated, and have an interest in disruptive, cutting-edge technology.
What you’ll do at ESS.
- Product development through research, design and evaluation of mechanical systems and processes utilizing engineering principles
- Lead and provide technical quality review of the development and documentation of mechanical and fluid systems and thermal environment to establish the system design
- Develop updates and redesign of existing processes and related equipment that are feasible to manufacture or modify; accompanied by analysis, supporting information and recommendations
- Design, develop, analyze, and document process designs which meet the cost, reliability, manufacturability, and safety requirements (P&ID, Functional Requirements, etc.)
- Interface with suppliers, manufacturing, sales, and marketing in the product development process
- Utilize 3‐D CAD system, AutoDesk Inventor, to prepare detailed drawings of multiple views and apply mathematics and physics to compute load capacities, dimensions, material usage and Bills of Materials (BOMs)
- Conduct research to test or analyze the design, operation, and performance of equipment
- Prepare performance requirements for equipment and systems
- Ensure engineering design and standards documentation is complete, accurate and sufficient in support of manufacturing and quality assurance activities, and compliant with customer specifications and regulations
- Interface with and provide product specifications to suppliers
- Actively communicate specific work requirements or needs to internal functions, such as purchasing and manufacturing to ensure expectations are understood as defined by engineering specifications
- Manage a small team of Engineers to drive/complete cross functional NPI projects
- Support optimization of products to enable manufacturability/scalability
What you bring to the table:
- BS Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- 7+ years of experience in a Mechanical Engineering Design role
- Proven proficiency in 2‐D & 3‐D CAD systems (i.e., AutoCAD & SolidWorks) for design, documentation, and fabrication
- In-depth understanding and application of quality principles, concepts, practices, and standards. (ASME 14.5)
- Ability to lead and manage multiple complex projects
- Experience with thermodynamics, fluid flow and structural analysis
- Experience in packaging assemblies
- Experience interacting with Lab and Engineering operations
- Ability to develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories, and concepts.
We’d love to see
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience in new-product technologies introduction and scale to manufacturing
- Experience commercializing new products in a production environment
- Knowledge of large and complex industrial products, containerized manufacturing, and transport
- Experience in battery, fuel cell technologies or power generation systems
Benefits of working at ESS.
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, ESS offers Company assisted medical, dental and vision, 401k with Company match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), generous PTO plan, 8 paid holidays, and approved PPE reimbursement.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.