At ESS (NYSE: GWH), our mission is to accelerate global decarbonization by providing safe, sustainable, long-duration energy storage that powers people, communities, and businesses with clean, renewable energy anytime and anywhere it’s needed. As more renewable energy is added to the grid, long- duration energy storage is essential to providing the reliability and resiliency we need when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing.
Our technology uses earth-abundant iron, salt, and water to deliver environmentally safe solutions capable of providing up to 12 hours of flexible energy capacity for commercial and utility-scale energy storage applications. Established in 2011, ESS Inc. enables project developers, independent power producers, utilities, and other large energy users to deploy reliable, sustainable long-duration energy storage solutions. For more information visit www.essinc.com.
ESS is looking for an exceptional senior-level HR/People Operations Manager to join our dynamic team. This Senior HR Manager role will be responsible for managing the day-to-day HR operations of the company, touching upon the multiple disciplines within HR. This is a newly created role due to company growth, and will be office-based at our corporate HQ and manufacturing facility in Wilsonville, Oregon.
What you’ll do at ESS.
- Implement human resources programs by providing human resources services, including talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, health, and welfare benefits, training and development, records management, succession planning, employee relations and retention, compliance, and labor relations.
- Champion collaborative relationships across the organization to ensure the successful onboarding and offboarding of new employees and contingent workers
- Develop human resources solutions by collecting and analyzing information and recommending courses of action.
- Prepare executive and management reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Improve manager and employee performance by identifying and clarifying problems; evaluating potential solutions; implementing selected solution; coaching and counseling managers and employees.
- Complete special projects by clarifying project objectives; setting timetables and schedules; conducting research; developing and organizing information; fulfilling transactions.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Improve department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
What you bring to the table.
- 5+ years of experience working as an HR Manager, HR Program Manager, People Partner, or similar role.
- Experience in a high-growth startup environment with constant change as your companion.
- Strong problem solving, reporting and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to research and analyze problems at a senior level, providing feedback, guidance, and direction.
- A clear understanding of Human Resources practices and legal requirements.
- Working knowledge of the critical components of a successful HR department including employment law, performance management, resolving conflict, having difficult conversations, employee engagement, training, maintaining employee files, and managing operational budgets.
- Clear, strong verbal communication and consulting skills. Demonstrated ability to work at the senior leadership level.
- Well-developed writing and presentation skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly across all levels of an organization.
- Discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality. Demonstrated ability to listen, analyze and inform appropriately while maintaining the required sensibilities in handling confidential information.
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree with demonstrated ability to understand the language of business.
We'd love to see:
- SPHR or other HR certification
Benefits of joining the ESS team
ESS offers an exceptional total compensation and benefits package for our team members and their families. The primary highlights include:
- Excellent base salary and targeted annual bonus structure
- Significant equity/stock package in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs)
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including Cigna medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, disability protection, as well as excellent PTO and 8 company paid holidays
- Company 401k program with up to a 4% match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Relocation assistance for non-local candidates
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.