At ESS (NYSE: GWH), our mission is to accelerate global decarbonization by providing safe, sustainable, long-duration energy storage that powers people, communities, and businesses with clean, renewable energy anytime and anywhere it’s needed. As more renewable energy is added to the grid, long- duration energy storage is essential to providing the reliability and resiliency we need when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing.
Our technology uses earth-abundant iron, salt, and water to deliver environmentally safe solutions capable of providing up to 12 hours of flexible energy capacity for commercial and utility-scale energy storage applications. Established in 2011, ESS Inc. enables project developers, independent power producers, utilities, and other large energy users to deploy reliable, sustainable long-duration energy storage solutions. For more information visit www.essinc.com.
ESS is looking for an exceptional R&D Test Engineer to join our expanding Research & Development team. This R&D test engineering role serves as a unique opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology while helping our team make our battery systems work better, while reducing cost and improving reliability. This engineer is responsible for testing to validate the performance and reliability of our battery health components.
This is a hands-on, on-site test engineering role based at our HQ and manufacturing facility in Wilsonville, Oregon.
What you’ll do at ESS.
- Plan and conduct daily testing while monitoring multiple test setups
- Analyze, summarize, and report testing data regularly
- Troubleshoot unexpected results to diagnose if the root cause is the result of test process, measurement, and/or design failure
- Document and present key findings to people at different levels of the organization and with differing technological backgrounds
- Collaborate with R&D scientists and engineers on testing processes, designs, and improvements
- Perform test stand equipment modifications and build new small scale test setups as required
- Maintain existing test stands
- Clean and maintain test and laboratory equipment and instruments
What you bring to the table.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry or a closely related engineering discipline
- Ability to design and conduct multiple tests simultaneously, carry out and analyze data, as well as look for ways to improve results, reduce uncertainty, and accelerate test time.
- Understanding of fluid mechanics, chemistry, and thermodynamics
- Hands-on engineering skills, from putting parts together to troubleshooting skills on sensors, etc.
- Comfortable working with chemicals, including acid and base
We’d love to see:
- Electrochemistry background
- Knowledge of or experience with wet chemistry and batteries
- Experience with battery or fuel cell testing
- Programming experience
Benefits of joining the ESS team
ESS offers an exceptional total compensation and benefits package for our team members and their families. The primary highlights include:
- Excellent base salary and targeted annual bonus structure
- Significant equity/stock package in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs)
- Company 401k program with up to a 4% match
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including Cigna medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, disability protection, as well as excellent PTO and 8 company paid holidays
- Relocation assistance for non-local candidates
For fully qualified candidates with questions about the opportunity or needing assistance in the application process, please contact our recruiting team at 503-342-0295.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.