At ESS (NYSE: GWH), our mission is to accelerate global decarbonization by providing safe, sustainable, long-duration energy storage that powers people, communities, and businesses with clean, renewable energy anytime and anywhere it’s needed. As more renewable energy is added to the grid, long- duration energy storage is essential to providing the reliability and resiliency we need when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing.
Our technology uses earth-abundant iron, salt, and water to deliver environmentally safe solutions capable of providing up to 12 hours of flexible energy capacity for commercial and utility-scale energy storage applications. Established in 2011, ESS Inc. enables project developers, independent power producers, utilities, and other large energy users to deploy reliable, sustainable long-duration energy storage solutions. For more information visit www.essinc.com.
ESS is hiring a motivated Principal Engineer, Systems Integration to support our fast-growing operations. In this role, you will manage and mentor projects which encompass Battery Stack manufacturing optimization and Iron Flow Battery systems integration.
What you’ll do at ESS.
- Process integration of battery stack pilot manufacturing and Iron Flow Battery systems integration/test/control.
- Enable optimized yield and scalability for battery stack manufacturing process.
- Ensure system level performance optimization based on inhouse engineering systems as well as data from fleet monitoring of deployed systems.
- Review and analyze data from battery stack and systems key performance index to continuously improve manufacturing/integrating/testing processes.
- Be part of key transfer team of pilot manufacturing to full production.
- Work closely the Battery Stack development team, Systems engineering team, Pilot manufacturing, Quality Assurance teams to ensure ESS Iron Flow Battery solution can make performance specifications and manufacturing KPIs.
- Design For Six Sigma, Statistical Process Control, Reliability, Validation Planning
What you bring to the table.
- Masters degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical Engineering, or equivalent Engineering degree
- 10+ years integration experience with battery structures, specifically thermal and mechanical
- Specific knowledge of engineering mechanics, heat transfer principles and thermodynamics, sensing, physics.
- Strong knowledge and practical application of mechanical, thermal, electrical, and structure, including their optimization.
- Understanding of engineering theory of mechanical and electrical interfaces and their relationship to chemical reactivity; Iron Flow Battery
- Ability to manage multiple and significantly complex projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Strong understanding of battery cells, modules, packs or fuel cell stack
- Proven ability in project management skills and ability to teach others
We’d love to see:
- PhD in Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical Engineering
- Familiarity with Iron Flow Battery Systems
- Demonstrated system integration problem solving
- NX, MatLab, Python, Engineering Analysis Software
- Prior Experience in VDDV, modeling, laboratory, validation, hardware development
- Statistical background and certifications
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Industrial chemical processing
- Knowledge of Iron Flow Battery cell design and performance, analysis and testing
- DFSS Black Belt
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, and who does not require a visa sponsorship or who is of H1B1 status.
Benefits of working at ESS.
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, ESS offers Company assisted medical, dental and vision, 401k with Company match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), generous PTO plan, 8 paid holidays, and approved PPE reimbursement.
Please note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.