At ESS (NYSE: GWH), our mission is to accelerate global decarbonization by providing safe, sustainable, long-duration energy storage that powers people, communities, and businesses with clean, renewable energy anytime and anywhere it’s needed. As more renewable energy is added to the grid, long- duration energy storage is essential to providing the reliability and resiliency we need when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing.
Our technology uses earth-abundant iron, salt, and water to deliver environmentally safe solutions capable of providing up to 12 hours of flexible energy capacity for commercial and utility-scale energy storage applications. Established in 2011, ESS Inc. enables project developers, independent power producers, utilities, and other large energy users to deploy reliable, sustainable long-duration energy storage solutions. For more information visit www.essinc.com.
ESS is seeking a System Engineering Manager who will coordinate and track all system and subsystem testing for development and production of iron flow battery products. This manager will lead the test team engineers and technicians to ensure that products are validated to meet its capability and product requirements consistently and repeatedly. This role will be a liaison between engineering to a variety of ESS teams, including operations and quality.
This is a newly created role due to company growth and will be office-based at our HQ in Wilsonville, Oregon.
What you’ll do at ESS.
- Lead and execute system level design validation test activities, per test plans jointly develop with design engineering groups, to ensure our products meet the product requirements consistently and repeatedly.
- Streamline system level test protocols to improve system test results and efficiency.
- Lead system level root cause analysis for failures and work with other engineering groups to address root causes.
- Drive test group to document all test results timely and accurately.
- Be a critical team player in the next generation IFB product development effort through complete validation and reliability testing.
- Participate in system level design and process FMEAs to ensure design robustness, safety, and reliability.
- Manage testing schedule and priorities, includes maintaining up to date schedules and delivering regular status updates.
- Direct and schedule maintenance and upgrade work required on testing equipment or systems.
- Ensure compliance to quality, 5S, EPA, NEC, NFPA and OSHA requirements; assure conformity to all company, customer, and government standards.
- Coordinate/review maintaining company standards for cleanliness, safety and productivity in the testing area.
What you bring to the table.
- Proven track record in test and validation of complex systems that involve chemical, electrochemical, and electromechanical components
- Master’s degree in Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering (or a closely related engineering field)
- 8+ years of engineering experience in testing and validation fields
- 3+ years of management experience leading engineering teams
- Proficient at complex system layout, modeling, analysis and troubleshooting
We’d love to see:
- Experience in battery or fuel cell system level testing
- Experience with system reliability testing and optimization
Benefits of joining the ESS team
ESS offers an exceptional total compensation and benefits package for our team members and their families. The primary highlights include:
- Excellent base salary and targeted annual bonus structure
- Significant equity/stock package in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs)
- Company 401k program with up to a 4% match
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including Cigna medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, disability protection, as well as excellent PTO and 8 company paid holidays
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Relocation assistance for non-local candidates
For fully qualified candidates with questions about the opportunity or needing assistance in the application process, please contact our recruiting team at 503-342-0295.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.