ESS is a globally recognized leader in sustainable energy storage and is consistently identified as one of the most innovative and exciting technology players in energy storage. Trading on the NYSE (GWH), ESS is poised to be one of the fastest growing energy technology companies in the world, with projects already across 4 continents. The ESS vision is about enabling the decarbonization of the grid by enabling us to achieve up to 100% of our electricity from clean, sustainable renewable energy.
These are ambitious goals, and we are pursuing them with passion. At ESS, we are leading the energy transition, creating the sustainable energy solutions of the future to help individuals, businesses and communities change energy into lasting value.
ESS is looking for a motivated and versatile Commodity Manager to join our team. Our current program scope involves the design, development, installation, evaluation, and documentation of large-scale battery systems.
A Commodity Manager develops, implements, and maintains a commodity strategy that supports the company’s supply chain, including quality, cost, production, and inventory goals. Evaluates market conditions to maintain inventory levels and control costs. Evaluates and recommends vendors and manages ongoing relationships with suppliers. The responsibilities below define the current needs in a dynamic company with lots of room for future career growth.
Negotiates with suppliers to obtain most favorable price, schedule and terms and conditions. Maintains supplier scorecard with KPI’s that report supplier performance. Responsible for procurement business system data input and integrity; evaluates and maintains bills of material and parts/commodities numbers in supply chain management or other enterprise-wide systems. Participates in maximizing the procurement teams' changes, part parameters. Performs cost analysis and volume planning for major commodities (e.g., materials, components, equipment, and services). Monitors the cost, schedule, and scope of assigned subcontracts to negotiate highest quality at best value. Develops new supply sources where vendors and suppliers are no longer competitive. May recommend cost saving proposals including make-versus-buy analysis or alternative sourcing. Interacts closely with suppliers and QA to resolve systemic quality issues. Monitor supplier performance against set goals to ensure continuous supplier improvement and continuity of supply. Works with management to address all aspects of commodity management, including procurement support, commodity business plans, market trends assessment, pricing, and product availability. Requires domestic or global expertise of assigned commodities.
What you’ll do at ESS
- Work with key stakeholders to initiate, plan and manage sourcing activities across various commodities from inception through contract execution.
- Analyze historical spend to proactively identify sourcing and savings opportunities.
- Develop and manage Rfx activities to drive measurable savings results.
- Manage all contract documentation and facilitate supplier management activities, including business reviews, supplier scorecards and ongoing relationship management.
- Monitor and coordinate supplier metrics.
- Maintain all controlled document files and test records in a timely and accurate manner.
- Evaluate problems and make initial recommendations for possible corrective action to supervisor.
- Always maintain acceptable 5S housekeeping standards to keep production and work areas clean. Ensuring that all tools, materials, and supplies are returned to their designated locations as soon as the task is finished.
What you bring to the table
- Requires a BS Degree or higher, preferred Supply Chain Management.
- 5+ years of experience.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment with dynamic daily priorities.
- Experience in new-product introduction and scale to manufacturing.
- Solid working knowledge of procurement best practices, quality systems, processes and procedures.
- Experience with the injection molded plastics, cast aluminum, machined parts, chemicals and OEM components used for fluids/flow control.
- Knowledge of quality systems, supplier evaluation tools (ie, D&B reports, P&L statements, etc.).
- A strong communicator capable of building relationships at all levels within the organization and a team player.
- Ability to anticipate needs of the shop.
- Possesses good written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Demonstrates persistence, good judgment, strong decision making, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, and overcoming obstacles.
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Knowledge of ISO a plus.
- Ability to travel required up to 25%.
Benefits of working at ESS
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, ESS offers Company assisted medical, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, 8 paid holidays, 401K, approved PPE reimbursement, and a competitive PTO accrual.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.