The Dyrt is the largest digital camping platform in the world. Every second, a new user visits The Dyrt to access our community-driven campground information.
If you love the outdoors and want to be part of a fast-growing consumer app, you’re in the right place.
As a senior engineer at The Dyrt, you will be tasked with building a robust, maintainable web experience for the 1M+ campers using our website every month. We are currently in the process of expanding our campground booking system by building inventory management tools for campground owners and integrating with third-party campground listing providers. Our portfolio of campgrounds is set to increase significantly from this work, so this position is a good opportunity for engineers who want to grow their skills in site performance and scalability.
Our current frontend is built with Next.js. Work varies from building highly interactive tools, like our search page and Trip Planner, to focusing on static rendering and page performance on our campground listings. In this position we will be looking to you for experience, knowledge, and the confidence to make the case for what each situation merits in order to provide an ideal experience for our users.
You’ll be working on a team with 8 - 10 other frontend developers and collaborating closely with our API, Product, and Design teams.
This position will report to the Lead Frontend Developer.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are great communicators — Effective communication is key to how we work. We value patience and empathy in our product planning, support, and day-to-day relations.
- Work well both collaboratively and independently — We come together to pair on tricky problems and architecture, then dive deep on individual tasks.
- Are ready to learn and share knowledge — Everyone comes to our company with their own set of skills and experiences. Cross-training, code review, mentorship, and curiosity all help us build better products.
- Leading execution on new features and improvement projects
- Helping define the longer-term technical vision for scaling and maintaining our frontend codebase
- Translating comps and wireframes from our Design team into architecture and components
- Estimating complexity and dividing up tasks when new projects are brought to the team
- Responding to support requests and troubleshooting live bugs
Experience and Requirements:
- Care about writing easy to understand, maintainable code
- Provide constructive feedback on pull requests and are enthusiastic about mentoring junior developers on the team
- Can identify site performance concerns and look for opportunities to reduce technical debt
- Have strong writing and communication skills for documenting project requirements and coordinating with other teams
- Can weigh multiple solutions for a problem against business needs and time constraints in order to meet company goals
- Are committed to equity and will respect and value your coworkers' opinions no matter their race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.
- React Native experience preferred
- Experience developing native iOS or Android applications
- Familiarity with mobile application distribution and release processes
The Dyrt is built by campers, for campers—whether you’re new to camping or have been camping your whole life.
We encourage everyone to spend more time outside, including employees. We offer competitive market-rate salaries, a generous vacation plan, and we even pay employee bonuses for using The Dyrt in the wild.
This is a full-time remote position. Employees are expected to have high-speed internet and a professional working environment sufficient for clear video conferencing during regular working hours. Many of our employees work virtually from Portland, OR but we’re flexible on location and encourage all to explore. Our founders even work from their van.
The Dyrt is an equal opportunity workplace. We are especially proud to have a female founder and a higher percentage of female employees than the national average for tech companies. We believe that the outdoors are for everyone, and are committed to building an inclusive platform and community that encourages, supports, and celebrates all people interested in camping.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
About The Dyrt
The Dyrt was started in Portland, OR, is venture-backed, and has 40-50 employees working virtually around the U.S.