Note: ESS is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees and community therefore we require COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment. Medical and religious exemptions may apply.
Catalyzing a cleaner future.
ESS is a globally recognized leader in sustainable energy storage and is consistently identified as one of the most innovative and exciting technology players in energy storage. It is poised to be one of the fastest growing energy technology companies in the world, with projects already across 4 continents and an upcoming public offering. The ESS vision is about enabling the decarbonization of the grid by enabling us to achieve up to 100% of our electricity from clean, sustainable renewable energy.
These are ambitious goals, and we are pursuing them with passion. At ESS, we are leading the energy transition, creating the sustainable energy solutions of the future to help individuals, businesses and communities change energy into lasting value.
ESS is seeking a dynamic Mechanical Engineer with a strong background in mechanical design, thermodynamics, fluid flow and structural analysis. The role will focus on the packaging of ESS’s advanced battery technology to ensure product life, cost, and efficiency. The successful candidate will have excellent project management skills and an ability to manage multiple projects effortlessly.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for sustainability and the environment, will thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting, be self-motivated, and have an interest in disruptive, cutting-edge technology.
What you’ll do at ESS.
- Product development through research, design and evaluation of mechanical systems and processes utilizing engineering principles
- Lead and provide technical quality review of the development and documentation of mechanical and fluid systems and thermal environment to establish the system design
- Develop updates and redesign of existing processes and related equipment that are feasible to manufacture or modify; accompanied by analysis, supporting information and recommendations
- Design, develop, analyze, and document process designs which meet the cost, reliability, manufacturability, and safety requirements (P&ID, Functional Requirements, etc.)
- Interface with suppliers, manufacturing, sales, and marketing in the product development process
- Utilize 3‐D CAD system, AutoDesk Inventor, to prepare detailed drawings of multiple views and apply mathematics and physics to compute load capacities, dimensions, material usage and Bills of Materials (BOMs)
- Conduct research to test or analyze the design, operation, and performance of equipment
- Prepare performance requirements for equipment and systems
- Ensure engineering design and standards documentation is complete, accurate and sufficient in support of manufacturing and quality assurance activities, and compliant with customer specifications and regulations
- Interface with and provide product specifications to suppliers
- Actively communicate specific work requirements or needs to internal functions, such as purchasing and manufacturing to ensure expectations are understood as defined by engineering specifications
What you bring to the table.
- BS Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- 5 years’ experience in a Mechanical Engineering Design role
- Proven proficiency in 2‐D & 3‐D CAD systems (i.e., AutoCAD & SolidWorks) for design, documentation, and fabrication
- In-depth understanding and application of quality principles, concepts, practices, and standards. (ASME 14.5)
- Experience with thermodynamics, fluid flow and structural analysis
- Experience in packaging assemblies
- Experience interacting with Lab and Engineering operations
- Ability to work in a cross-functional and geographically dispersed team environment
- Strong communication and presentation skills, affable, with demonstrated maturity and professionalism
- Self-starter who can follow tasks through to completion with little guidance
- Ability to work in a team environment to collectively solve problems
- Ability to multi‐task several projects and prioritize workload to meet business specific deadlines
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. unassisted
- Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes
- Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations
We’d love to see:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience in new-product technologies introduction and scale to manufacturing
- Experience commercializing new products in a production environment
- Knowledge of large and complex industrial products, containerized manufacturing, and transport
- Experience in battery, fuel cell technologies or power generation systems
Benefits of working at ESS.
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, ESS offers a Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; Flex spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, and a competitive PTO accrual.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.