Note: ESS is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees and community therefore we require COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment. Medical and religious exemptions may apply.
Catalyzing a cleaner future.
ESS is a globally recognized leader in sustainable energy storage and is consistently identified as one of the most innovative and exciting technology players in energy storage. It is poised to be one of the fastest growing energy technology companies in the world, with projects already across 4 continents and an upcoming public offering. The ESS vision is about enabling the decarbonization of the grid by enabling us to achieve up to 100% of our electricity from clean, sustainable renewable energy.
These are ambitious goals, and we are pursuing them with passion. At ESS, we are leading the energy transition, creating the sustainable energy solutions of the future to help individuals, businesses and communities change energy into lasting value.
ESS is looking for a motivated, hard-working Electrical Controls Technician to join our team.
What you'll do at ESS.
- Assembles, installs, tests and maintains electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, apparatus, and fixtures, using hand tools and power tools.
- Diagnoses malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components, using test equipment and hand tools, to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem.
- Responsible for the connection of wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components.
- When the work has been completed - must inspect electrical systems, equipment, and components to identify hazards, defects, and the need for adjustment or repair, and to ensure compliance with codes.
- Replace items such as circuit breakers, fuses, switches, electrical and electronic components, or wire.
- Responsible for the wiring, terminating, startup commissioning and field troubleshooting of industrial electrical control panels and associated components.
- Test electrical systems and continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, and oscilloscopes, to ensure compatibility and safety of system.
- Plan layout and installation of electrical wiring, equipment and fixtures, based on job specifications and local codes.
- Use a variety of tools and equipment such as measuring devices, power tools, and testing equipment including oscilloscopes, ammeters, and test lamps.
- Work from ladders, scaffolds, and roofs to install, maintain or repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures.
- Place conduit (pipes or tubing) inside designated partitions, walls, or other concealed areas, and pull insulated wires or cables through the conduit to complete circuits between boxes.
- Troubleshoot automated production machinery, identify root cause for trouble & repair as necessary.
- Diagnose & replace faulty electrical & electronic components of machine such as relays, switches, motors, positions sensing devices, & printed circuit boards.
- Connect electric power to machines & equip, and control wires between machines & equip.
- Work w/ mechanics & lead persons to diagnose faulty machinery.
What you bring to the table.
- AS Degree or higher in Electronics -or- completion of a four-year technical training program in electrical repair and two (2) years electrical experience
- Experience troubleshooting, repair and installation of industrial machinery
- Experience reading electrical schematics and mechanical P&IDs a must.
- Implementing predictive and preventative maintenance programs to minimize unscheduled downtime.
- Ability to read schematics and ladder logic in performing duties.
- Familiarity with Servo Systems and Controls
- LC/SLC controllers, troubleshooting AC and DC motor controls, including A/C and D/C drives, power distribution, relay controls.
- A good understanding of instrumentation and PID controls
- Knowledge of applicable electrical codes, standards, and regulations
- Knowledge of electrical application for high and low voltage electric system
- Skill in the installation, repair and maintenance of all types of electrical system equipment and components.
- Familiarity with single and three phase power systems and power distribution systems.
- Familiarity with power conversion equipment.
- Familiarity with computer and micro-controller systems.
- Experience with robotic equipment; must be able to troubleshoot (reset / restart).
- Capability to work on and around industrial power systems.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. unassisted
- Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes
- Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations
- Experience in a manufacturing environment with dynamic daily priorities
- Experience in new-product introduction and scale to manufacturing
- Able to diagnose simple control system using PLC (i.e Panel layout, wiring & testing).
- Able to read and make electrical schematic drawings.
We'd love to see:
- Experience with battery or fuel cell systems
- Capable of troubleshooting both electrical and control systems. Experience with high voltage
Benefits of working at ESS.
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, ESS offers a Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; Flex spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, and a competitive PTO accrual.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.