The data team is committed to storing and curating all of the information we’ve collected, finding new and valuable data points to acquire, and stitching it all together for the business and our customers. As our newest data engineer, you’ll be a leader in acquiring, cleaning, transforming and governing the data, and implementing processes and methods to improve our efficiency, reliability and cost effectiveness. From deciding on how to bring in a new data set, whether by API, S3 Bucket, or HTML page, to managing the frequency of its ingress, and testing its validity, this role will be an excellent opportunity to help grow this team within a rapidly expanding organization.
The Success You’ll Build: Primary Responsibilities and Impact
As a part of a rapidly growing data team, you will collaborate with data analysts and data scientists to acquire, transform and govern various data sets, and make them useful for deep analysis, modeling and forecasting. You’ll build the transformations to turn raw data into something meaningful, to connect it to other data sets, as well as maintain and improve our governance layer in LookML. You’ll be working at all levels of the data warehouse stack, from processing raw files in S3, to accessing a variety of API endpoints, to transforming this data into the facts and dimensions in Snowflake. You’ll also oversee the ingress of new data sets into Looker’s data layer, both creating your own models, and collaborating with our analysts to review pull requests and assist with adding new dimensions and measures to our expanding model.
Your focus in this role will include:
- Identifying and acquiring new data, using integration tools, Python, and AWS services for automation.
- Analysis and transformation of raw data into fact and dimension tables in Snowflake DB, using both dbt and Stitch.
- Writing SQL to aggregate, associate and stitch data sets together for our data scientists and analysts consumption.
- Managing Looker’s LookML layer, reviewing pull requests for changes and additions to the existing model.
- Collaborating with data scientists and backend engineers to productize machine learning models.
- Interfacing with engineering to track application database changes and additions, and incorporating new data points into the DW stack.
- Finding ways to optimize performance, reduce compute costs and improve testing and data validation processes.
The tools you’ll use | Our Stack:
- Stitch & dbt for ETL
- AWS - DMS, Glue, EC2, ECS, Lambdas, S3
The experience that will help you succeed:
You’ve spent at least 3 years working in a data warehouse stack, stitching and transforming various data sets, writing SQL and creating great schemas for data scientists, data analysts and business users. Other relevant experience may include:
- Working with business stakeholders, product managers and developers to build specifications for new data sets needed to enhance business processes.
- Comfortable working with Looker, specifically managing, maintaining and validating the LookML layer.
- Understanding how to build data sets for both machine learning models and rich visualizations.
- Familiar and comfortable creating, updating and reviewing Python code leveraging for automating data ingress.
- Capable of understanding and ultimately simplifying data from complex OLTP schemas into star and snowflake data warehouse schemas.
- Comfortable working in a cloud-native AWS environment.
The What | Technical/Functional:
- SQL - understanding existing SQL and writing new SQL for transformations, aggregations and time-series analysis.
- Operating and maintaining data warehouses, ideally Snowflake.
- Ability to build automation to acquire and process raw data and bring into Snowflake.
- Managing and maintaining a data governance and modeling layer, ideally LookML.
The How | Values:
Crowdstreet Benefits and Perks
BE HEALTHY, BE HAPPY
We support the health of our employees and families through our Medical, Dental, and Vision plans which include HSA and FSA options.
TAKE A BREAK
We offer a Flexible Time Off policy to encourage you to take a break when needed. Our policy also provides time off for you to volunteer and parental leave to support your growing family.
WORK WHERE YOU WORK BEST
We know that great work can happen anywhere which is why we offer a hybrid work model. Work from home, anywhere in the continental U.S., from one of our offices (Portland, OR or Austin, TX) or some combination of the two.
We provide stock option grants for all of our new employees to keep you connected to the ongoing success of our company.
HOW YOU WORK
We're providing all of our employees with a monthly stipend to use for your home office needs or support how you choose to commute to the office. Need something else to do your job? Our People Ops team can help!
BUILD YOUR CAREER
We supply a monthly stipend for your continuous learning and development. Is there a course you’ve always wanted to take? A certification you’ve wanted to achieve? A conference you’ve wanted to attend? Work with your manager to tee it up!
Working at CrowdStreet
CrowdStreet is the leading online marketplace for institutional-quality commercial real estate investment. Our customer, the individual investor, joins the CrowdStreet community to learn about and invest directly in private real estate offerings. Our mission is to deliver the best online real estate investing experience and make it easy for individual investors to diversify their portfolios.
CrowdStreet has been recognized as a leader in the commercial real estate and technology spaces. Recent accolades include:
- Forbes Top 500 Best Startup Employer
- Deloitte Technology Fast 500
- 2020 Top Places to Work, The Oregonian
- 2020 Oregon Technology Awards Accelerate Company of the Year
- #5 for "Fastest Growing Private Companies in Oregon & SW Washington" by the Portland Business Journal.
We are proud to support ‘Work Where You Work Best’ and are enthusiastically adding to our team throughout the US. We also offer two locations (AUS and PDX) for those who work best in an office.
At CrowdStreet, inclusion, equity, and diversity are critical in achieving our goals. Our differences in age, race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, physical ability, thinking style and background bring a breadth of knowledge that makes us collectively smarter and better able to compete. We are committed to recruiting, developing, and advancing a diverse staff and engaging in the hard work that makes that possible.