Lumen Learning has an opportunity for a senior-level developer with extensive experience in Ruby and Rails. We’re looking to have the right engineer join our marvelous team – someone who is enthusiastic about collaboration and ardent about building a codebase that can evolve over time, and at the same time seeking to become a better developer. We’re thoughtfully moving towards a more service-oriented architecture, and are looking for teammates who are happy to pursue the ambiguities of that adventure.
We currently have a handful of both Ruby on Rails and Java applications, and augmenting expertise around those platforms is necessary as we build an ambitious new layer of functionality.
What kinds of things will a successful candidate do in this role?
- You’ll build out back-end features and deliver them within predictable timelines
- You’ll actively collaborate with other team members to build the best code we can manage
- You’ll eagerly partner with product managers to understand features and find the best way to achieve the product vision
Lumen’s company mission is to enable unprecedented learning for all students. Each year we support 400,000 students and 5,000 faculty members in college courses. Lumen provides solutions that create effective learning experiences for students and guide faculty members in the use of evidence-based teaching practices that improve student success. Lumen seeks to create success for all students, with an emphasis on ensuring that race and income are not predictors of success.
Lumen is a small company that is growing rapidly. We are doing something that has not been done before. Each position requires an individual who can assess the needs of customers, the education community, and other Lumen team members and develop new approaches and solutions. This requires creativity, commitment, generosity, openness, and a drive to create belonging for our team and community.
We are committed to building and supporting a diverse and inclusive team. We know we can only achieve our goals by creating an engineering team of differing perspectives, social circumstances, values, and abilities, including members of historically marginalized communities.
- You’ll report to the Director of Engineering
- You’ll be part of one our services teams, working with a Product Manager
Delivering back-end functionality
- Writing readable, maintainable, and testable code based on ticket requirements
- Building controllers and models and other necessary code will help support new features and allow evolving functionality over time
- Responding to bug reports and troubleshooting with other engineers and stakeholders
Collaborating with Product Managers and fellow Engineers
- Working closely with our product managers to understand the needs of new features and proposing break-down of feature work
- Providing feedback to other engineers through code review and pairing and mentoring less experienced developers
- Pro-actively participating in our agile workflow: time-bound sprints, including daily standup, and retrospective
- Asking questions! Not only in the first 90 days in this role but beyond — asking why we do things the way we do, what the goal of a feature/change is, what we’re measuring, how you can help
Provide personal leadership
- Contribute to Lumen’s success in achieving our mission
- Promote collaboration and excellence within the Engineering team and partner actively and effectively with the Product Management team
- Personify values of creativity, generosity, openness, commitment, and belonging
- Make Lumen a more successful, effective, and inclusive organization
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience
- Professional experience building and maintaining modern web applications in Rails and at least one other technical stack
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL, as well as other data stores
- Familiarity with GitHub, including branching workflows and pull requests
- Familiarity with DevOps and how that affects the programming of server-side systems
- Impressive attention to detail, evidenced both in the depth of questions asked when refining requirements for features
- Strong communication skills