Lumen Learning has an opportunity for a front-end engineer to join our exceptional team. If you have experience with React and Vue, HTML and CSS, and you love to delight customers, then we would love to speak with you.
Our team is already collaborating on a number of exciting projects, where providing the most effective interactive user experiences are crucial. We’re looking for someone who will join us in that endeavor.
What kinds of things will a successful candidate do in this role?
- You’ll build out front-end features and deliver them within predictable timelines
- You’ll actively collaborate with other team members to build the best code we can manage
- You’ll eagerly partner with product managers to understand features and find the best way to achieve the product vision
Lumen’s company mission is to enable unprecedented learning for all students. Each year we support 400,000 students and 5,000 faculty members in college courses. Lumen provides solutions that create effective learning experiences for students and guide faculty members in the use of evidence-based teaching practices that improve student success. Lumen seeks to create success for all students, with an emphasis on ensuring that race and income are not predictors of success.
Lumen is a small company that is growing rapidly. We are doing something that has not been done before. Each position requires an individual who can assess the needs of customers, the education community, and other Lumen team members and develop new approaches and solutions. This requires creativity, commitment, generosity, openness, and a drive to create belonging for our team and community.
We are committed to building and supporting a diverse and inclusive team. We know we can only achieve our goals by creating an engineering team of differing perspectives, social circumstances, values, and abilities, including members of historically marginalized communities.
- Reports to the Managing Engineer of the Front-end Team
- You’ll join other engineers working with a Product Manager to build out features
Build out front end features
- Creating UI components that are accessible and performant based on existing UI elements or InVision mockups.
- Writing readable and testable code based on ticket requirements.
- Responding to bug reports and troubleshooting with other engineers and stakeholders.
- Asking questions! Not only in the first 90 days in this role, but beyond — asking why we do things the way we do, what the goal of a feature/change is, what we’re measuring, how you can help.
Collaborate with Product Managers and Engineering Colleagues
- Working closely with our product managers to understand the motivation behind and needs of new features.
- Providing feedback to other engineers through code review and pairing.
- Participating in our agile workflow: time-bound sprints, including daily standup, and retrospective.
Provide personal leadership
- Contribute to Lumen’s success in achieving our mission
- Promote collaboration and excellence within the Engineering team and partner actively and effectively with the Product Management team
- Personify values of creativity, generosity, openness, commitment, and belonging
- Make Lumen a more successful, effective, and inclusive organization
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience
- Professional experience writing accessible, responsive and cross-browser compatible front-end UIs with standards-compliant HTML and CSS/Sass
- Professional experience building and maintaining modern web applications with front-end frameworks, specifically either using Vue.js or React.
- Familiarity with GitHub, including branching workflows and pull requests
- Impressive attention to detail, evidenced both in the depth of questions asked when reviewing mockups and in the final result in the browser
- Strong communication skills