Estimated pay range
Actual pay may be different — this range is estimated based on Research And Development Engineer in Portland, Oregon Metropolitan Area at similar companies.
Base pay range
Note: ESS is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees and community therefore we require COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment. Medical and religious exemptions may apply.
Catalyzing a cleaner future.
ESS is a globally recognized leader in sustainable energy storage and is consistently identified as one of the most innovative and exciting technology players in energy storage. It is poised to be one of the fastest growing energy technology companies in the world, with projects already across 4 continents and an upcoming public offering. The ESS vision is about enabling the decarbonization of the grid by enabling us to achieve up to 100% of our electricity from clean, sustainable renewable energy.
These are ambitious goals, and we are pursuing them with passion. At ESS, we are leading the energy transition, creating the sustainable energy solutions of the future to help individuals, businesses and communities change energy into lasting value.
ESS is seeking a motivated and versatile R&D Engineer to join our team. Our current program scope involves the design, development and evaluation of a new generation power module, and electrolyte management system, to characterize and improve electrolyte chemistry.
What you’ll do at ESS
- Developing and validate low-cost bipolar plates and membranes for All-Iron Redox Flow Battery
- Optimize electrolyte chemistry for efficiency and durability.
- Assist in design validation of innovative electrolyte management subsystems
- Design, construct and perform reliability tests on various key system components
- Build and test flow batteries, and electrolyte management system, of various sizes and capacities using developed materials and chemicals
- Troubleshoot, collect, and analyze data and present test results to the engineering team
- Run design validation tests and perform analyses afterwards to guide design goals for improved battery performance and reliability
- Develop and optimize chemical processes for flow batteries of different scales
- Interact with manufacturing engineer to scale up production of the developed new generation membranes
What you bring to the table.
- Master’s degree in ChE, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering or Material Science is required.
- Electrochemistry skills and knowledge – wet chemistries and reactions, interactions, and material behaviors
- Experience in a manufacturing environment with dynamic daily priorities
- Experience in new-product introduction and scale to manufacturing
- Experience with the properties of common plastics used in manufacturing
- Demonstrated knowledge of the chemical process engineering principals in a fuel cell or battery industry preferred
- Intermediate to advanced shop math skills. Knowledge of English/Metric system measurement
- Quality system awareness
- Ability to multi-task several projects and prioritize workload to meet business specific deadlines
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a small, dynamic team responsible for product development
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment
- Can exercise judgment setting work priorities and identifying next steps
- Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes
- Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations
We’d love to see:
- Working experience with battery or fuel cell systems
- Experience in managing R&D lab
- Knowledge of ISO
Benefits of working at ESS
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, ESS offers a Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; Flex spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, and a competitive PTO accrual.
ESS is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees and community therefore we require COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment. Medical and religious exemptions may apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.