At Opal we love modern, best practices in Rails, Elixir, Node (TypeScript & React too!). We attend meetups with the team to help grow our community, implement new features, share our knowledge, and mentor each other.
Opal is changing the future of how marketing and communications teams effectively plan.
Our market-leading product is used and loved by companies such as Starbucks, Target, Airbnb, Uber, NASA, 3M, Pepsi, GM, Microsoft, Minted, T-mobile, Whole Foods, Activision, SAP and many more.
We’re in an exciting period of growth and are always seeking extremely talented, passionate individuals who share our vision for helping content creators produce their best work.
Visit workwithopal.com to learn why Opal is the marketing and communications platform of choice for creatives and their teams.
Engineers at Opal are creative, technical people making beautiful and powerful tools to enable other creative, technical people to do their best work — Opal is the thread that runs through the entire marketing communication process. The product and engineering team at Opal base our process on main principles;
- Create unprecedented visibility; enabling any team to visually craft their story with intention.
- Build team alignment; enable teams to bridge the gap between strategy and execution.
- Improve operational efficiency and ensure peace of mind to our teams
We are looking for an engineer who can turn ideas into beautifully written code that other people — or you, six months from now into the future — will find easy to comprehend and modify.
As a technical leader on the Opal Engineering team, you will;
- Model a rich and expansive domain. You’ll design and implement data models for every facet of the communications and marketing domain, as well as powerful systems to keep the Opal application efficient and stable.
- Contribute to a mature Rails application while also helping to build our growing Node and Elixir services. Senior engineers have the opportunity to design highly concurrent, fault-tolerant systems.
- Contribute to and support our modern front end made with React and TypeScript. We work closely with our frontend engineers as we write and share the same high quality code and design system.
- Own implementation of great features. You’ll work directly with designers, engineers, and product owners to bring new features to life. You’ll provide guidance and input into the process of building and deploying their vision, as well as writing code that makes it real.
- Guide and mentor your fellow engineers. You’ll be an authority on best practices for the engineering team, as well as an important leader of other engineers at Opal.
Our team is highly productive and committed to mutual support, collaboration, and knowledge sharing. We’ve got some of the brightest minds, but more than that, we are dedicated to a work environment where we all grow and learn.
We combine this commitment with a dedication to quality engineering and sound, informed technical decisions. We understand that the best code is the code that moves our business forward and we make every architectural decision in the context of the product that everyone at Opal is building.
As a note, your final level and title will be determined through the interview process.
- Write solid and scalable code.
- Build new features and services with members in your pod, design, product, QA, and DevOps, as well as other engineers.
- Provide technical leadership to junior engineers.
- Receive and offer technical feedback though pair programming and regular code reviews.
- Promote engineering excellence with a focus on performance, scalability, privacy, and security.
- Receive close guidance and mentorship from our engineering managers and leads.
- Extensive, solid experience in designing and developing multiple large-scale web application back-ends.
- Experience in Rails, Elixir, Node or a comparable functional programming language.
- Experience in PostgreSQL or MySQL, outside of ORM, including the ability to design SQL queries for performance and efficiency.
- Familiarity with common API and services design best practices.
- Deep experience in overall system design and implementation — how they state, how they should fit together, and how they’re likely to break.
- Experience migrating legacy components with little to no downtime.
- Ability to analyze and solve different problems across the entire web application stack.
- Excitement about leveraging web technologies in a new context.
- Experience in modern client-side framework development using Typescript, React preferred.
- Experience working with sophisticated application state, i.e. Apollo, React Hooks, Redux, or similar.
- A dedication to learn and share your ideas with your fellow engineers.
- Mastery of breaking down, discussing, and communicating abstract technical concepts.
- Company paid individual Health, Dental, and Vision benefits, including Disability and Life Insurance
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Flexible Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Paid Maternity/Parental Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- 401(k) and Roth retirement plans
- Company-sponsored outreach & activity programs
Our philosophy is simple; at Opal we believe that working with people of different backgrounds and perspectives allow us to elevate each other and help us build a better product for our users.
We’re proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment. We believe a diverse workplace promotes innovation and enhances decision making. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, or veteran status.