Our newly created Corporate Controller is responsible for the accounting operations of the company, including preparation of accurate and timely financial reports, the maintenance of a financial system of records, development of a comprehensive set of internal controls, documentation of processes, and coordination of the audits, among other assigned tasks. This role reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
The Success You'll Build: Primary Responsibilities and Impact
- Establish all accounting policies and procedures that ensure financial statements are in compliance with GAAP accounting principles and the timely distribution of financial reports for the management, board and investors
- Continue to develop and improve upon internal accounting practices and documented internal controls, policies, and infrastructure to scale with the business
- Coordinate all financial reporting and audit activities, including monthly and quarterly close, preparation of annual financial statements; manage timely filing of all required statutory filings
- Guide the accounting team to enable strong performance against strategic, financial, and operational goals
- Oversee transactional finance activities including processing of accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, inventory, expense reporting, payroll processing, revenue management, commissions, equity administration and cash management
- Assure tax compliance with accurate and timely completion of all corporate, statutory, income and indirect tax requirements
- Make recommendations/take action on key accounting/finance areas, including: revenue recognition, complex financial transactions, internally developed software capitalization, equity administration, mergers & acquisitions
- Responsible for the management and evolution of all Finance Accounting systems: Sage Intacct, Expensify, Carta, etc.
- Responsible for the management of the Fund accounting function designed to support the accounting, compliance and financial reporting needs of our Investment Funds and Private Managed Accounts (PMA), directly supporting our new Investment & Wealth Solutions organization.
- Participate in new fund structuring, including all accounting, reporting and fund administration matters.
- Responsible for fund compliance, working with our legal team to resolve issues, coordinate regulatory and internal reporting
- Responsible for setting up systems, processes and controls that are appropriate for the current growth stage of the business with an eye towards evolving towards the appropriate finance and operations infrastructure at scale.
- Manage other business requirements such as insurance, finance partner audits, etc.
- Manage accounting personnel and build a team that aligns with CrowdStreet values to create an environment of trust and productivity.
- Collaborate with teams across the company to identify, design and implement process improvements.
The Experiences That Will Help You Succeed:
- 10 plus years of progressive accounting management experience, including experience at a major public accounting firm
- Track record of building and developing high performance accounting teams in a fast-paced organization, with the experience to continuously improve operations
- Industry experience in fund management and/or commercial real estate
- Experience with SEC reporting and SOX compliance
- Public company experience preferred
The Competencies You’ll Need:
- Current CPA designation
- Strong understanding of GAAP and technical accounting, including financial transactions, net interest, FMV valuation for illiquid financial instruments, revenue recognition and internally developed software
- Excellent problem-solving skills, exposure to FPA is preferred
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
- Very high attention to detail, accuracy and consistency
The How | Values:
We are a diverse and collaborative organization We are connected and motivated by our common mission and goals:
- Collaboration: Seek diverse input, engage in healthy discussion, commit to decisions
- Respect: Treat others with kindness, practice empathy and inclusion, be a positive influence on others
- Impact: Embrace the entrepreneurial journey, focus on what matters, build something meaningful
Harassment, sexism, racism, bullying, aggression, intolerance & corrosive internal politics are unacceptable. Our values and beliefs are reflected in how we hire, coach, train, lead, reward, recognize and work together as a team.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume via our careers website or the included Greenhouse application.
Please submit your resume with a cover letter including:
- Why you’re passionate about working for CrowdStreet.
- How your experience will support the achievement of success in the role. The best way to do this is to copy/paste the bullets for success and experience. Briefly summarizing your relevant experience after each.
Crowdstreet Benefits and Perks
- BE HEALTHY, BE HAPPY
We support the health of our employees and families through our Medical, Dental, and Vision plans which include HSA and FSA options.
- TAKE A BREAK
We offer a Flexible Time Off policy to encourage you to take a break when needed. Our policy also provides time off for you to volunteer and parental leave to support your growing family.
- WORK WHERE YOU WORK BEST
We know that great work can happen anywhere which is why we offer a hybrid work model. Work from home, anywhere in the continental U.S., from one of our offices (Austin, TX or Portland, OR) or some combination of the two.
- CROWDSTREET EQUITY
We provide stock option grants for all of our new employees to keep you connected to the ongoing success of our company.
- HOW YOU WORK
We provide all of our employees with a monthly stipend to use for your home office needs or support how you choose to commute to the office. Need something else to do your job? Our People Ops team can help!
- BUILD YOUR CAREER
We supply a monthly stipend for your continuous learning and development. Is there a course you’ve always wanted to take? A certification you’ve wanted to achieve? A conference you’ve wanted to attend? Work with your manager to tee it up!
Working at CrowdStreet
CrowdStreet is the leading online commercial real estate investing marketplace. Our customer, the individual investor, joins the CrowdStreet community to learn about and invest directly in institutional-quality private real estate deals. Our mission is to deliver the best online real estate investing experience and make it easy for individual investors to diversify their portfolios.
CrowdStreet has been recognized as a leader in the commercial real estate and technology spaces. Recent accolades include:
- Forbes Top 500 Best Startup Employer
- Deloitte Technology Fast 500
- Investopedia: Best Overall Real Estate Crowdfunding Site of 2021
- Gower: Industry Leader OR #1 Leading Real Estate Crowdfunding Marketplace
- 2020 Top Places to Work, The Oregonian
- 2020 Oregon Technology Awards Accelerate Company of the Year
- #5 for "Fastest Growing Private Companies in Oregon & SW Washington" by the Portland Business Journal.
We are proud to support ‘Work Where You Work Best’ and are enthusiastically adding to our team throughout the US. We also offer two locations (AUS and PDX) for those who work best in an office.
At CrowdStreet, inclusion, equity, and diversity are critical in achieving our goals. Our differences in age, race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, physical ability, thinking style and background bring a breadth of knowledge that makes us collectively smarter and better able to compete. We are committed to recruiting, developing, and advancing a diverse staff and engaging in the hard work that makes that possible.