In this role, you’ll leverage your gifts and experience with creating code-based infrastructure and pipelines, as we continue growing the Engineering and DevOps teams to support more customers, products and lines of business. You will find new ways to enable engineers to build features and products more efficiently, to be deployed to an infrastructure which you’ve helped make faster, more available, and more redundant. Working closely with the Enterprise Architect, this role will be a mix of greenfield work and maintenance and improvement of existing technologies and pipelines, as we find ways to optimize both our AWS infrastructure and our development pipelines and release processes.
The Success You’ll Build: Primary Responsibilities and Impact
As a part of a rapidly growing engineering team, you will play a key role in evolving how we develop, deliver, and host our products. You will work on helping to improve existing systems, while also pursuing greenfield opportunities as we continue to add new services to the platform.
Your focus in this role will include:
- Automating the creation of our application environments (including cloud-native services) and ensuring that new services are provisioned using infrastructure-as-code tools.
- Simplifying and automating the build-test-deploy pipelines for our products, allowing for self-service use by the development teams.
- Providing monitoring and alerting capabilities needed to maintain highly available and robust systems.
- Collaborating with engineering and product teams to deliver scalable features through an intuitive and reliable pipeline.
We view the various components of our engineering infrastructure (e.g. deployment pipelines, environments, cloud services, monitoring) as products we develop and maintain to serve our internal customers, particularly our development and quality engineering teams. Maintaining a strong culture of service excellence and meeting our internal customers’ requirements will be essential to succeeding in this role.
The tools you’ll use | Our Stack: (if applicable)
- AWS Services, including Beanstalk, Lambdas, SNS, SQS, Dynamo & RDS
- New Relic, Sentry & Scalyr
- Atlassian Bitbucket & Pipelines
- Python & Bash
The experience that will help you succeed:
You’ve spent at least 4 years working in a cloud-native environment, promoting high-availability, infrastructure as code practices, and better software delivery. You have the skills and experience to qualify as an AWS Certified DevOps Professional, or already have the certification. You know how to maintain the pillars of an AWS well-architected framework. Other relevant experience may include:
- Success implementing and maintaining robust feature release systems, development pipelines, and its backing infrastructure.
- Great at documenting pipelines and infrastructure processes to make onboarding new engineers more efficient.
The competencies you’ll need:
Please list the competencies your ideal candidate will possess. Competencies are the combination of knowledge/skills and ability that lead to a level of proficiency. You should focus on the top 8 -10 competencies. You should specifically select two to three behavioral competencies that align to CrowdStreet’s core values.
The What | Technical/Functional:
- Maintaining & Improving Observability across the platform.
- Assessing, refining and improving our Infrastructure as Code systems.
- Great ability to troubleshoot system or application issues, leveraging logs, monitors & metrics.
- Deep understanding of development pipelines, from initial commit through to deployment and release, and methods for automating them.
- Familiar and comfortable working in agile environments.
- Participation in infrastructure on-call rotation for criticalsevere issues.
The How | Values:
How to Apply
Please submit your resume with a cover letter including:
- Why you’re passionate about working for CrowdStreet.
- How your experience will support the achievement of success in the role. The best way to do this is to copy/paste the bullets for success and experience. Briefly summarizing your relevant experience after each.
Crowdstreet Benefits and Perks
- BE HEALTHY, BE HAPPY
We support the health of our employees and families through our Medical, Dental, and Vision plans which include HSA and FSA options.
- TAKE A BREAK
We offer a Flexible Time Off policy to encourage you to take a break when needed. Our policy also provides time off for you to volunteer and parental leave to support your growing family.
- WORK WHERE YOU WORK BEST
We know that great work can happen anywhere which is why we offer a hybrid work model. Work from home, anywhere in the continental U.S., from one of our offices (Portland, OR or Austin, TX) or some combination of the two.
- CROWDSTREET EQUITY
We provide stock option grants for all of our new employees to keep you connected to the ongoing success of our company.
- HOW YOU WORK
We're providing all of our employees with a monthly stipend to use for your home office needs or support how you choose to commute to the office. Need something else to do your job? Our People Ops team can help!
- BUILD YOUR CAREER
We supply a monthly stipend for your continuous learning and development. Is there a course you’ve always wanted to take? A certification you’ve wanted to achieve? A conference you’ve wanted to attend? Work with your manager to tee it up!
Working at CrowdStreet
CrowdStreet is the leading online marketplace for institutional-quality commercial real estate investment. Our customer, the individual investor, joins the CrowdStreet community to learn about and invest directly in private real estate offerings. Our mission is to deliver the best online real estate investing experience and make it easy for individual investors to diversify their portfolios.
CrowdStreet has been recognized as a leader in the commercial real estate and technology spaces. Recent accolades include:
- Forbes Top 500 Best Startup Employer
- Deloitte Technology Fast 500
- 2020 Top Places to Work, The Oregonian
- 2020 Oregon Technology Awards Accelerate Company of the Year
- #5 for "Fastest Growing Private Companies in Oregon & SW Washington" by the Portland Business Journal.
We are proud to support ‘Work Where You Work Best’ and are enthusiastically adding to our team throughout the US. We also offer two locations (AUS and PDX) for those who work best in an office.
At CrowdStreet, inclusion, equity, and diversity are critical in achieving our goals. Our differences in age, race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, physical ability, thinking style and background bring a breadth of knowledge that makes us collectively smarter and better able to compete. We are committed to recruiting, developing, and advancing a diverse staff and engaging in the hard work that makes that possible.