We are looking for a Business Analyst with strong Python Developer experience who is excited about solving real problems for the students, faculty, and institutions we serve. You will be part of a small team responsible for collecting and analyzing data, and creating new reports and visualizations to enable Lumen team members to be more data-driven in their work.
Your day-to-day in this role includes:
- Creating a detailed business analysis, outlining problems, opportunities and solutions for a business
- Financial modelling
- Variance Analysis
- Understanding the data and metrics that drive the Lumen business model
- Working closely with the different teams at Lumen to understand their data needs and building solutions to solve those needs
- Writing readable, commented code
- Creating reports and data visualizations that are easy to understand and use
- Cleaning data! 80% of every data job is cleaning data
- Defining business requirements and reporting them back to stakeholders
- Asking questions! Not only in the first 90 days in this role, but beyond — asking why we do things the way we do, why we’re measuring what we’re measuring, what the real underlying goal of a request is, how you can help, etc.
Our company values define how we work with customers and with each other to create successful long-term relationships that support Lumen’s success and your personal success as a team member. Our values drive our responsibilities.
Commitment: We genuinely care.
You care about making a difference in higher education. At Lumen Learning, we love knowing our work makes a big difference to students and faculty all over the US.
Creativity: We solve difficult problems.
You’re curious about data and driven to solve problems in meaningful, measurable ways. As a data scientist, you display creativity in how you approach not only technical problems, but also how we work together as a team.
Generosity: We help people be their best.
You want to work in an environment where we give and receive feedback gratefully, where pairing and collaboration are part of the work at hand, not a distraction from it. You are inspired to help others grow and be challenged to grow and improve yourself.
Openness: We share openly.
Learning and sharing aren’t only things we look to improve for our users and customers, but also within our own team. You want to learn from others’ experiences and share your own to our overall benefit.
Belonging: We foster equitable environments.
We strive to create a workplace where everyone feels like they matter and can show up as their whole authentic selves. We understand that engaging diverse perspectives help us learn, improve, and more fully realize our mission.
The ideal candidate will have the following business analyst qualifications:
- Experience working with senior decision-makers
- Strong communication/interpersonal skills
- Proven analytical background
- Advanced Excel skills
- A desire to understand both the data and how it can help solve the challenges of the business
In addition to the business analyst qualifications above, we’d like to hear from you if you have previous experience or interest in the following:
- Professional experience writing Python and SQL code
- Experience connecting to APIs, parsing data, and creating reports from the data
- Experience parsing and reformatting data across formats such as JSON, XML, and CSV
- Professional experience building and maintaining data reports and data visualizations using a variety of technologies
- Pandas python library
- Google Drive, Docs, Sheets API
- Google Data Studio
- PipeDrive API, HubSpot API, Quickbooks API
- Working in a fully remote environment, using tools like Slack and Zoom
- Learning additional frameworks and programming languages as needed
Lumen Learning is a young, rapidly growing company. We are doing something that has not been done before. We’re using technology, learning design informed by data, and openly licensed content to enable unprecedented learning results and opportunities for all students, regardless of economic background. Ever buy a college textbook? We think that hundreds of dollars is too much and for many people, the cost is an impassable barrier. We eliminate the need for expensive textbooks with a rich online learning experience that costs $25.
Every day our work requires creativity, discipline, drive, teamwork, and immense flexibility. Check out our company values. If you’re a fit and if you want to work on something really important with other amazing people who exemplify those values, get in touch.
We offer a great benefits package including flexible time off, work autonomy, 401k matching, and health benefits. Lumen is proudly based in Portland, Oregon, but the position is based in your home office.
We are committed to building and supporting a diverse and inclusive team. We know we can only achieve our goals by creating a team of differing perspectives, social circumstances, values, and abilities, including members of historically marginalized communities.
This role reports to the Chief Operating Officer. You will work with many parts of the organization but primarily with the Adoption team.
Premium medical, dental and vision coverage–with a fully paid premium for employees.
Flexible paid time off
401k with company match