About the Job
The DevOps Engineer works on a robust suite of web and mobile applications to improve the robustness of Opal’s DevOps compliance footprint, tools, and infrastructure, and helps Engineering maintain the sky-high level of trust our organization has built with customers across the globe.
Key themes this role will focus on are cloud and datacenter architectures, CI/CD automation, incident response, remediation, training, access control, hardening, and secure development.
You should strive to be an influencer on our DevOps team by guiding the team to best practices and uplift other Engineers by leveraging previous experience and sharing knowledge.
Opal is the marketing and communications calendar that unites teams to do exceptional work. Teams who work together in Opal create unparalleled levels of visibility, build team alignment and improve operational efficiency. Visit workwithopal.com to learn why Opal is used by teams everywhere including Starbucks, Target, Minted, General Motors, T-Mobile and Zillow.
- Develop hardening guidelines and review security configurations related to Linux/Unix hosts, Cloud technology deployments and common web application frameworks.
- Help security harden a stack of technologies including: Kubernetes, Terraform, Docker, AWS, Azure, ArgoCD, and Jenkins.
- Administer and maintain credentials for a variety of infrastructure and services
- Maintain, protect, and administer data storage systems including security, encryption, and GDPR compliance.
- Build tools, systems, and processes that allow your fellow engineers to ship world-class software as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Architect, support, test, and maintain CI/CD pipelines (Blue/Green experience is a plus).
- Working closely with QA, Engineering, Automation, and Experience/UI teams to automate and improve security in workflows.
- Advise, and support best practices with a security mindset for a variety of technologies
- Taking part in product brainstorms to help think up the next big thing and bring a strong security stance along the way.
- Lending a helping hand, or ear whenever necessary.
- Be a leader in documenting, educating, and de-siloing of information and process.
- Be a champion of supporting customer needs and finding short-term ways to fill those needs.
Skills, Experience, Knowledge
- Typically requires successful completion of a formal training program in software engineering either through code-school or 2 to 4-year degree program along with 6+ months of relevant experience.
- Ability to gather and present data to support ideas, projects, and opinions.
- Familiarity with Azure and AWS ecosystems and a strong understanding of modern web application architectures, both service-oriented and monolithic, ideally focused around Ruby-on-Rails and Elixir.
- Experience with infrastructure as code and technologies behind it (Terraform preferred).
- Experience working with production web applications on cloud-based hosting and containerized technologies like Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience utilizing cloud-based monitoring and diagnostics tools for troubleshooting and root cause analysis such as Sumo Logic, Instana, and Prometheus.
- Static code analysis experience across a broad swatch of languages
- Proven ability to drive initiatives with diplomacy and empathy
- Knowledge on load balancers, network device authentication, firewalls, network segregation, VPNs, Security Information and Event Management
- Natural alignment with Opal’s Values: Professional, Intentional, Steadfast, Helpful, Creative, Passionate, and Empathetic
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree in a related field a plus
Opal is pleased to offer a comprehensive total rewards package for employees and their families, providing a diverse range of benefits such as:
- Competitive, market-leading compensation package, including stock options
- 100% company-paid individual premium for Medical/Rx, Dental, and Vision Insurance (with dependent premiums 50% company-paid)
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health, Dependent Care, Commuter, Parking
- Company-paid Group Life/AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance for your furry friend
- Flexible Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave & Flexible Back-to-Work Program
- 401(k) and Roth Retirement Plans
- Company-sponsored outreach and activity programs
Opal is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment. We believe a diverse workplace promotes innovation and enhances decision making. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, or veteran status.