Who are we?
We’re The Wild and we are transforming the way that professionals work together through immersive collaboration. We believe that commuting to offices and sitting all day in front of screens is an inhumane way to work together. Companies are burning money and natural resources shipping people around the world to sit in conference rooms and we think that we can do better.
We’ve built a platform called The Wild for teams to create and share virtual workspaces where they can collaborate together in virtual and augmented reality from anywhere in the world. We are focused on the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) Industry because we believe that it is the best first market for this technology, but our aspirations extend beyond.
In early 2021 we acquired irisvr.com, which has solidified our position as the global leader in immersive collaboration for the AEC Industry. Our two products, The Wild and Prospect are now used worldwide by leaders in the AEC industry including Perkins + Will, KPF, Interior Architects, PAE Engineers, Mortenson, ZoomCare, and Verizon.
We are a distributed team with employees working all over the United States. We are backed by leading venture capitalists and in June extended our Series Seed to $5.5M. Our team is small but growing quickly as we have transitioned from a fledgling startup into a new and exciting growth stage.
Does this sound like you?
We are seeking an experienced leader to establish and scale our Engineering team. When we say “experienced,” we mean that you have managed engineering teams for long enough, under different circumstances, to know what works and what doesn’t work through experience rather than anecdote or idea. You’ve made the mistakes that make you question everything. You’ve had great ideas that didn’t pan out. You’ve worked hard to drive change in an organization that was reluctant to adapt. And you’ve also had some big wins that remind you that you are actually a really excellent engineering leader.
Over your career, you have developed some deeply held principles on how an engineering team, and for that matter, a company, should be structured and run. You would be thrilled with the opportunity to join a startup where you would be supported and empowered to drive those principles into action.
You know how to lead with empathy, and fundamentally believe that a diverse team with different perspectives can produce better solutions. You understand that we don’t write code for the benefit of ourselves, to check off a task, or to finish a feature. We write code for the benefit of the humans who experience it — their delight and problem solved is our reward.
The Wild is pioneering new technologies and to do that effectively, we need people who have the courage to question everything, and when the standard isn’t the best solution, take a calculated risk toward something better.
We are forging new territory here and you might feel intimidated by that, but you are the type of person that can’t deny the adventures that find you in life and you are excited to challenge yourself.
What You’ll do
- Create plans, playbooks, dashboards, and other materials to communicate and align on engineering strategies and to measure their success
- Forecasting, hiring, and onboarding Engineering team members
- Preparing and optimizing budgets
- Mentor your team members and provide paths for their professional growth
- Recommending technological developments and improvements to inefficiency
- Be ultimately responsible for maintaining team velocity and quality of work
- Establish and evangelize a vision for excellence in engineering at The Wild
- Work with Sales and Customer Success teams to ensure that customer security and service requirements are communicated, aligned, and met
- Collaborate with the Product team to ensure a high quality and focused roadmap
- Evangelize technology on the leadership team and across the organization
- Establish routines that minimize crunch time and maximize focus time
- Contribute to improving the operations and culture of the organization
- Background: You have 5+ years as an engineering manager (preferably SaaS). You are excited to join a small team where you can build a team from scratch.
- Early adopter: You love new technology. You are always looking for new technology to improve and inspire your life.
- Goal-Oriented: You love to take on new challenges and will work hard to achieve ambitious goals.
- Growth Mindset: You constantly seek feedback to improve yourself and your work. You genuinely care about understanding your customers and their needs.
- Curious: You love to learn about new productivity workflows and products. You quickly learn new concepts and become the resident expert.
- Delight Focused: You care about going the extra mile for your customers. You constantly think about how to delight your customers in the short and long run.
- Problem Solver: You are adept at spotting issues, inefficient, or broken systems and you are brilliant at finding elegant solutions.
- Mentor: You excel at improving yourself and inspiring others to do the same.
- Quality Communicator: You are an excellent communicator who can adapt your communication style for different types of people and clearly align on complex ideas verbally and through your writing.
- Leadership: You are a natural leader. You will build company culture and help shape our future.
Why You’ll Love Working Here
We create experiences for people, not devices. We strive to create joy and allow our humanity to shine through our work. Among the things you will enjoy about working here:
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible vacation time and unlimited PTO
- Paid family/parental leave
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive team here at The Wild. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply. The Wild is an equal opportunity employer: we value and welcome diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our goal is to create a community rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity.