CrowdStreet is seeking a senior-level Managing Director to originate debt and equity capital raise assignments across all commercial real estate (“CRE”) asset classes throughout the western region.
As a Managing Director, Capital Markets, you will be responsible for sourcing deals from institutional-quality CRE developers, owners, operators (collectively “sponsors”) within the western region for our Marketplace. You will bring your extensive relationships with sponsors, coupled with your expert knowledge of CRE capital markets and an insatiable hunger for success to build and manage a large pipeline of opportunities. As a deal maker, a proven track record is essential because success in this role equates to closing several deals per month. You will work closely with your colleagues on the CrowdStreet Investments Team to screen new sponsors, their deals, and investment structures to uphold the high standards of our Marketplace.
By leveraging your established reputation and relationships as a trusted CRE capital advisor, you will create new, repeat, and programmatic relationships with sponsors for CrowdStreet. You will teach prospective sponsors about online fundraising/syndication under SEC guidelines and why the CrowdStreet Marketplace is the future of CRE investing. You will acquire new sponsor customers by compelling them to try online fundraising/syndication for the first time, as an additional channel of capital and then establish CrowdStreet as a strategic partner and reliable source of equity for their future deal flow.
To support your success, you will be partnered with a Capital Markets Associate for your region, whose primary responsibilities include making outbound calls, scheduling meetings, identifying and qualifying new opportunities, and generally supporting the growth of your business.
This position is based in the U.S. and reports to our VP of Business Development.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Originate debt and equity offerings (private placements) from institutional-quality CRE owners, operators, and developers
- Develop and maintain sponsor relationships throughout the western region
- Lead your assigned Capital Markets Associate by example to generate ample activity required to build and manage a large pipeline of opportunities. Close several deals per month
- Identify and engage the top Ideal Sponsor Profiles in your region.
- Educate and advise sponsors about the benefits of online syndication as a superior source of equity financing for property development, acquisition, and recapitalization.
- Pre-screen sponsors, properties, and investment structures before formal submission to Investment Committee
- Coordinate with IC teammates to negotiate agreements and term sheets with sponsors for their offerings.
- Acquire new sponsor partners for their first online syndication via CrowdStreet, then build upon that experience to create long-term and programmatic relationships.
- Once a project proposal is signed, contribute to the success of your customer’s online capital raise by supporting your teammates in operations and customer success.
- Contribute to the ongoing monitoring of a project during the management phase by supporting the asset performance team with sponsor reporting compliance
- Stay in continuous communication with your sponsor customers and originate additional debt and equity offering opportunities over time.
What You Must Have:
- A belief in the CrowdStreet Mission: To deliver the best online real estate investing experience making it easier for individual investors to achieve smarter diversification.
- 10+ years of private equity real estate, CRE investment sales, and/or capital markets investment banking experience.
- Exceptional investment real estate evaluation, underwriting, and assessment skills
- Deep, meaningful and proven relationships with CRE sponsors and brokers in the western region
- Verifiable track record of consistently meeting and/or exceeding quota goals
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s Degree in Business or related field
- A collegial, team-player mentality who enjoys working in a cross-functional organization to meet shared company OKRs
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Entrepreneurial mindset with an insatiable desire to succeed
- High level of ethics and integrity
Not Required, But Nice To Have:
- MBA with an emphasis in real estate
- Experience with Salesforce CRM and pipeline management
How to Apply
Please submit your resume online with a cover letter stating:
1) Why you’re interested in working for CrowdStreet, and
2) A brief summary of how you meet each of our qualifications (including the “nice to haves”). The best way to do this is to copy/paste the requirements bullets and put a brief answer after each summarizing your relevant experience.
CrowdStreet believes that the markets are stronger when they are more accessible, transparent, and efficient–for everyone. We are a team dedicated to transforming the world of commercial real estate (CRE) investing through technology and have been recognized by leading industry publications including Globe St. and CRETech. Our online Marketplace gives investors direct access to commercial real estate investment opportunities, while simultaneously helping real estate sponsors and developers raise capital online.
Headquartered in downtown Portland, our offices overlook historic Pioneer Square. We offer great employee benefits and are committed to fostering a fantastic culture, even as our team has moved to 100% remote in the wake of COVID. To help empower our employees to work where they work best, we’re providing everyone with laptops, a monthly stipend to help cover expenses, and the ability to come into the office–under strict safety guidelines–as needed. We’re also hosting weekly digital All Hands to keep everyone connected.
Named by The Oregonian as a 2020 Top Places to Work, 2020 Winner of Oregon Technology Awards in the new “Accelerate” category, Forbes Top 500 Best Startup Employer, the 2019 Oregon Technology Awards Rising Star, and the Oregon Entrepreneurs Network (OEN) 2019 Growth Stage Company of the Year.
At CrowdStreet, we believe inclusion and diversity are critical in achieving our goals. We understand that differences in age, race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, physical ability, thinking style and background bring a breadth of knowledge that make us collectively smarter and better able to compete. We are committed to recruiting, developing and advancing a diverse staff and engaging in the hard work that makes that possible. Are you ready to join our team?