Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, multi patented, clean technology start-up, located in Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines an environmentally safe, abundant and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. Our advanced flow battery technology combines high performance with low cost, renewable integration designed for commercial, industrial, and utility applications.
Our team boasts decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. We are team building a disruptive, cutting edge technology. We are looking for motivated, hard-working, like-minded people to join our team of individuals who have a passion for sustainability, the environment, and who thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting. This position involves close interaction with numerous engineering disciplines. You must be comfortable working in a team environment that is fast paced and dynamic. A strong commitment to quality and continuous improvement is required.
ESS is seeking a dynamic Mechanical Engineer with a strong background in mechanical design, Thermodynamics, fluid flow and structural analysis. The role will focus on the packaging of ESS’ advanced battery technology to ensure product life, cost and efficiency. The successful candidate will have excellent project management skills and an ability to manage multiple projects effortlessly. Candidates with knowledge of large and complex industrial products, containerized manufacturing & transport are highly desired. Experience in battery, fuel cell technologies or power generation systems are helpful.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for sustainability and the environment, will thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting, be self-motivated and have an interest in disruptive, cutting edge technology. Someone who understands the culture, the rigor and the challenges of a start-up environment.
- Product development through research, design and evaluation of mechanical systems and processes utilizing engineering principles.
- Lead and provides technical quality review of the development and documentation of mechanical and fluid systems and thermal environment to establish the system design
- Develop updates and redesigns of existing processes and related equipment that are feasible to manufacture or modify; accompanied by analysis, supporting information and recommendations.
- Actively communicate specific work requirements or needs to internal functions, such as purchasing and manufacturing to ensure expectations are understood as defined by engineering specifications.
- Design, develop, analyze and document process designs which meet the cost, reliability, manufacturability and safety requirements (P&ID, Functional Requirements, etc)
- Interface with suppliers, manufacturing, sales and marketing in the product development process.
- Utilize 3‐D CAD system, AutoDesk Inventor, to prepare detailed drawings of multiple views and apply mathematics and physics to compute load capacities, dimensions, material usage and Bills of Materials (BOMs).
- Conduct research to test or analyze the design, operation and performance of equipment.
- Prepare performance requirements for equipment and systems.
- Ensure engineering design and standards documentation is complete, accurate and sufficient in support of manufacturing and quality assurance activities, and compliant with customer specifications and regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the project team.
- Interface with and provide product specifications to suppliers.
Proficiencies, Skills & Experience
- Must be comfortable with Thermodynamics, fluid flow and structural analysis
- Must be a "self‐starter" and follow tasks through to completion with little guidance.
- Must be able to work in a Team environment to collectively solve problems.
- Must be able to multi‐task several projects and prioritize workload to meet business specific deadlines
- Experience with fluid flow and structural analysis
- Experience in packaging assemblies
- Comfortable in fast-paced, collaborative work environment.
- Experience in new-product technologies introduction and scale to manufacturing.
- Experience commercializing new products in a production environment is preferred.
- Able to work in a cross-functional and geographically dispersed team environment.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, affable, with demonstrated maturity and professionalism.
- Experience interacting with Lab and Engineering operations.
Requirements & Qualifications
- BS Engineering in Mechanical Engineering. MS preferred.
- 5 years’ experience in a Mechanical Engineering Design role.
- Proven proficiency in 2‐D & 3‐D CAD systems (i.e. AutoCAD & SolidWorks) for design, documentation and fabrication.
- Must have an in-depth understanding and application of quality principles, concepts, practices, and standards. (ASME 14.5)
- Legally authorized, U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency. – See Note:
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. unassisted.
- Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations.
What ESS Offers
- Benefits: In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual; and public transportation assistance.