Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, multi patented, clean technology start-up, located in Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines an environmentally safe, abundant, and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. Our advanced flow battery technology combines high performance with low cost, renewable integration designed for commercial, industrial, and utility applications. ESS Tech, Inc. has entered into a definitive business combination agreement with ACON S2 Acquisition Corp. that upon closing expects to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol “GWH.” result in ESS becoming a publicly listed company.
Our team boasts decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. We are team building a disruptive, cutting edge technology. We are looking for motivated, hard-working, like-minded people to join our team of individuals who have a passion for sustainability, the environment, and who thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting. This position involves close interaction with numerous cross-functional disciplines, including engineering, and multiple manufacturing environments. Applicant must be comfortable working in a team environment that is fast paced and dynamic. A strong commitment to quality and continuous improvement is required.
We are seeking a highly motivated Technical Accounting and SEC Reporting Manager to help drive the constant enhancement of our finance function, processes, systems, and value creation to support and enable continued exemplary financial performance and operations at ESS.
As the Technical Accounting and SEC Reporting Manager, you will be responsible for leading the adoption and application of accounting standards and establishing accounting policies. You will play the critical role of ensuring integrity and accuracy of our financial statements including public filings and compliance with US GAAP.
You will have oversight and participation in various planning, drafting and other activities that facilitate the efficient completion of those filings, of significant or unusual and none-recurring transactions, or recently issued accounting updates as well as pronouncements.
This role will report to the VP Accounting|Controller and partner closely with the accounting team and interact regularly with external auditors, Legal, third-party consultants and other cross-functional groups.
Primary Responsibilities & Core Duties
- Perform technical research and consult with management and the external auditors to ensure proper accounting treatment is applied and documented
- Prepare and complete the statement of cash flows, stock-based compensation, EPS computation, and other areas of complex accounting such as business combinations and other regulatory reporting;
- Plan quarterly and annual drafting of financial statements and review cycle; lead minimum quarterly meetings with senior management;
- Manage the flow of information and supporting documentation(s) from various parts of the company to ensure accurate and timely reporting;
- Collaborate with various heads of departments and managers regarding the reporting processes and information required for proper and timely disclosures;
- Maintain an awareness of Company products, services and the related regulatory environment to effectively manage and comply with all regulatory reporting requirements and disclosures;
- Develop an in-depth understanding and analysis of significant transactions to assess financial accounting and reporting impact;
- Participate in SOX 404 efforts, including documentation of processes and facilitating testing of controls, as necessary;
- Support various aspects of the auditors integrated audit
- Strong technical knowledge of U.S. GAAP and SEC accounting and reporting requirements;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and strategic-thinking skills with a forward-looking focus;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate and work effectively with internal and external stakeholders;
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills with experience in working toward tight deadlines;
- Experience with XBRL preferred;
- Demonstrated professional commitment, initiative, accountability and ownership of assignments;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and adept at handling change;
- Ability to effectively facilitate and present in group meetings.
Additional Requirements and Qualifications
- Legally authorized, U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency. – See Note:
- Ability to fluently read and write English, comprehend, and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to pass a standard background check.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting required;
- Certified Public Accountant required;
- 5+ years of relevant work experience, including Big 4 public accounting and SEC reporting experience with a publicly-traded company;
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA preferred.
- Oracle platform a plus
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, and who does not require a visa sponsorship or who is of H1B1 status.
What ESS Offers
- In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual; and public transportation assistance.