Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, multi patented, clean technology start-up, located in Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines an environmentally safe, abundant, and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. Our advanced flow battery technology combines high performance with low cost, renewable integration designed for commercial, industrial, and utility applications. . ESS Tech, Inc. has entered into a definitive business combination agreement with ACON S2 Acquisition Corp. that upon closing expects to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol “GWH.” result in ESS becoming a publicly listed company.
Our team boasts decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. We are team building a disruptive, cutting edge technology. We are looking for motivated, hard-working, like-minded people to join our team of individuals who have a passion for sustainability, the environment, and who thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting. This position involves close interaction with numerous cross-functional disciplines, including engineering, and multiple manufacturing environments. Applicant must be comfortable working in a team environment that is fast paced and dynamic. A strong commitment to quality and continuous improvement is required.
We are seeking a highly motivated Accounting Manager to help drive the constant enhancement of our accounting function, processes, systems, and value creation to support and enable continued exemplary financial performance and operations at ESS.
As the Accounting Manager, you will have the unique opportunity to manage and advance multiple areas within our fast-growing company. This role will have a wide range of responsibilities across general accounting. This is a new position with the opportunity to grow and develop the team.
You will have oversight and participation in various close and reporting functions and related activities that facilitate the efficient completion of close activities.
This role will report to the VP Accounting and partner closely with the accounting team and interact regularly with external auditors, Legal, third-party consultants and other cross-functional groups.
Primary Responsibilities & Core Duties
- Manage our growing accounting organization – fixed assets, payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable department, including at least 3 team members.
- Identify and implement process improvements, automation, and efficiencies.
- Create reports and dashboards to drive use of data in inform decision making of Finance leaders.
- Create metrics, standards and goals for the team to drive success, efficiency and improvement.
- Review of accounting stemming from prepaids, fixed assets, payroll, AR and AP transactions and provide variance analysis and commentary on for month end/quarter end close.
- Primary responsibility for equity and investment accounting.
- Prepare/review specific journal entries, expense coding, account reconciliations and investigation of significant variances.
- Assist in all day-to-day accounting operations, preparing the month-end close transactions, quarterly and year end close.
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly and annual financial statement disclosures.
- Ensure application of appropriate internal controls, SOX compliance and financial procedures.
- Prepare or review month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts and reconciliations.
- Work with cross-functional departments at all levels of the company to achieve corporate objectives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and the ability to work with other departments within the organization to implement business solutions.
- Highly organized and willing to engage with internal departments and external auditors to comply with filing and reporting requirements.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrate strong and pragmatic business acumen.
- Advanced proficiency in Oracle a plus.
- Meets deadlines, follows through on commitments and delivers on promises.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Additional Requirements and Qualifications
- Legally authorized, U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency. – See Note:
- Ability to fluently read and write English, comprehend, and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to pass a standard background check.
Education & Experience
- Certified Public Accountant required;
- 5+ years of relevant work experience, including Big 4 public accounting and similar position experience with a publicly-traded company;
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA preferred;
- Oracle platform experience a plus.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, and who does not require a visa sponsorship or who is of H1B1 status.
What ESS Offers
Benefits:In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual; and public transportation assistance