US work authorization (Required)
Java: 1 year (Preferred)
Full Job Description
Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, clean technology start-up located in Wilsonville, Oregon. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy storage system that combines an environmentally safe and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. We are recognized as an emerging leader in the long-duration energy grid scale storage markets.
We are a multi-disciplinary team boasting decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. As we commercialize our global product platform, we are looking for additional expertise in electrical and power engineering for grid-tied and microgrid storage applications. This is an opportunity to make your mark on the edge of the next generation electrical grid architecture.
If you are motivated, hard-working, have a passion for sustainability and the environment, and thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting we would like to hear from you.
This position will work closely with our development team to create software that will run the flow battery systems. The main focus of the programmer will be the analysis and modeling of energy systems to help the flow battery systems run at optimal performance for the location and application that they are deployed at.
In this technical position, you will:
- Evaluate, design, develop, upgrade, and maintain new and existing firmware for use in flow battery systems
- Design algorithms to operate the battery systems optimally in micro-grid or grid-tied applications
- Participate in the testing process throughout the design cycle of the battery systems
- Participate in customer design meetings and acceptance reviews
- Work with design engineers and test technicians to provide technical assistance as needed
- Assist in debugging field problems
Education and Experience
- BS or higher in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience
- System modeling experience
- Strong coding skills in C++, C#, Java
- Experience creating software applications for varied hardware platforms
- Experience writing code to interface with hardware systems
- Experience working with database systems
- Hands-on experience in software architecture and design
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a small, dynamic team
- U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency
Desired Skills & Knowledge
- Experience with cloud based computing platforms such as Azure or AWS
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- Experience with Linux system management
- Understanding of linear mathematics, statistics, optimization
- Ability to work with minimal direction
- Experience in a startup environment
- Highly motivated self-starter who needs minimal direction and works well with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Able to work independently and proactively. Have good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a small, dynamic team responsible for product development.
- Legally authorized to work in the USA - U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency.
ESS offers a competitive benefits package including company assisted Health insurance, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, and competitive PTO accrual.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
The Oregon Clinic is an alcohol and drug-free workplace and an EEO Employer. Offers are contingent on successful completion of drug and background screenings. Please note we follow Federal Guidelines regarding prohibited substances, even for those legal at the state level.
Pay dependent on experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
ESS has COVID policies and practices in place.
- Bachelor's (Required)
- Software Engineering: 3 years (Preferred)
- Java: 1 year (Preferred)