Over the past seven years CrowdStreet has established itself as the leading online marketplace for institutional-quality CRE investment. Our primary customer is the accredited investor who joins the CrowdStreet community to learn about and invest in private real estate offerings. Our mission is to help individual investors to diversify their investment portfolios and build wealth through real estate.
Part of the next phase in our journey is to partner with financial advisors, global wealth platforms, and other intermediaries who have built trusted relationships with investors. We’ve always known that professionals who provide financial services serve a valuable role in many investors' pursuit of financial health. Now that CrowdStreet has proven our value to individual investors, it’s time to invite their financial advisors to the CrowdStreet community so we can all work together to bring institutional quality private real estate into their diversified portfolio of stocks, bonds and cash.
We’re hiring a Business Development Director to spearhead the continued growth of our investor community through developing distribution channels and strategic partnerships. Organic growth and strength of our investor community will be enhanced by partnering with the right personal finance publishers, wealth advisors/RIAs, institutional investors as well as global financial institutions. The overarching objective is to attract more investors and grow AUM via new channel development and strategic partnerships.
If you are passionate about helping investors achieve their financial plans, and understand how the power of technology can accelerate positive change, then join a fintech company that is on the forefront of reinventing real estate investing to deliver better financial outcomes for individuals.
What You’ll Be Doing
This is a newly created leadership role for CrowdStreet and you will be helping to chart the course by defining and executing on our Channel and Partnership strategy as follows:
- Evaluating our current channel partner plans and enhancing them in order to take them to market in a scalable manner that align with the strengths of our Marketplace and investment products and services.
- Taking over management and responsibility of existing strategic partnerships with personal finance publishing companies. Identify additional personal finance publishers to expand that particular channel.
- Identify select independent advisory firms as ideal partners to participate in our RIA program, ensure the success of the program and grow it to become a meaningful growth engine to our investor community.
- Work cross functionally with CrowdStreet Marketing, Legal/Compliance, Investments, and Investment Products and Advisory Services teams to create the ideal solutions for the channel.
- Work with Product & Engineering teams to scope which Wealthtech software platforms to integrate with first, ensure successful integration(s) and then serve as primary relationship manager for wealthtech partners as we expand the program.
- Work with CrowdStreet Advisors leadership and Marketing to establish a digital presence within the wealth management industry, including development and distribution of thought leadership content as well as marketing materials specific to the CrowdStreet Marketplace and investment vehicles.
- Target select family offices, quasi-institutional and institutional investors looking to deploy capital into commercial real estate, meet with decision makers to understand their needs and formulate a value-add product or service specific to them. Lead the development of a new program that will allow them to invest in CrowdStreet Marketplace single-asset offerings and investment vehicles.
- Scope concepts to attract global financial services firms to the CrowdStreet Marketplace, conduct direct outreach and meetings with decision makers, discover what is most compelling to them in order to serve their wealth management clients and then lead internal strategic projects to meet the needs of one or more global financial institutions.
- Work with the Capital Markets team to advance the growth of our existing Capital Advisor Referral Program designed for commercial real estate services firms with a goal of enrolling more debt, equity and investment sales brokers to assist in the acquisition of new sponsors to supply offerings for the CrowdStreet Marketplace.
- Provide feedback and regular reporting to the VP Business Development/CEO and Board of Directors that will accelerate the overall growth of the business. Be responsible for establishing financial goals and building a pipeline of new channel and strategic partner opportunities to meet the key goals and objectives.
What We Must Have
- 8+ years in sales or business development, with a minimum of 3+ years in a partnership development role mainly in the financial services, wealth management or commercial real estate industries. Prior financial technology - “Fintech” company experience is highly desirable.
- Proven experience interfacing directly with C-level executives at wealth management firms resulting in new business and revenue growth. We need the person who made the notable deals happen, not the person who supported the senior dealmaker.
- Expert knowledge of Modern Portfolio Theory and the role that illiquid real assets can play in the composition of a high-performing, diversified portfolio.
- A critical thinker and problem solver capable of structuring complex partnerships with leading wealth management firms and financial industry participants. Relationship management skills are equally important.
- Technology savvy executive with hands-on experience with modern technology platforms, both internally and externally, particularly as it relates to WealthTech platforms in the wealth management industry.
- Proven track record of distributing financial products through the financial intermediary channel, including experience with getting an investment vehicle or fund custodial approved with the leading custodian platforms like Schwab, TD, Fidelity, Pershing.
- Experience with building and managing a team of wholesalers or licensed sales people to distribute funds to financial advisors...and a newfound conviction that digitally focused “robo-wholesaling” model is the wave of the future with the ability to implement that strategy at CrowdStreet.
- Understanding of the legal, regulatory and compliance requirements necessary to succeed in this arena.
What Would be Nice to Have
- Active Series 65 license and registration
- Advanced working knowledge of data analytics and the application of data strategies in the wealth management industry, i.e. advancements in robo-advisor tech.
- Proficiency with Salesforce CRM for pipeline management and reporting.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume online with a cover letter stating: 1) Why you’re passionate about working for CrowdStreet, and 2) A brief summary of how you meet each of our qualifications (including the “nice to haves”). The best way to do this is to copy/paste the requirements bullets and put a brief answer after each summarizing your relevant experience. Thank you for your interest in CrowdStreet!
Working at CrowdStreet
CrowdStreet believes that the markets are stronger when they are more accessible, transparent, and efficient–for everyone. We are a team dedicated to transforming the world of commercial real estate (CRE) through technology and have been recognized by leading industry publications including Globe St. and CRETech. Our online Marketplace gives investors direct access to commercial real estate investment opportunities, while simultaneously helping real estate sponsors and developers raise capital online.
Headquartered in downtown Portland, our offices overlook historic Pioneer Square. We offer great employee benefits and are committed to fostering a fantastic culture, including moving to a permanent hybrid work environment. To help empower our employees to work where they work best, we’re providing everyone with laptops, a monthly stipend to help cover expenses, and the ability to come into the office–under strict safety guidelines–as needed. We’re also hosting weekly digital All Hands to keep everyone connected.
Over the years, CrowdStreet has been recognized by top industry publications as a leader in the commercial real estate space. Named by The Oregonian as a 2020 Top Places to Work, CrowdStreet is also a Forbes Top 500 Best Startup Employer, part of the Deloitte Technology Fast 500, the 2020 Oregon Technology Awards Accelerate Company of the Year, and was ranked #5 for "Fastest Growing Private Companies in Oregon & SW Washington" by the Portland Business Journal.
At CrowdStreet, we believe inclusion and diversity are critical in achieving our goals. We understand that differences in age, race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, physical ability, thinking style and background bring a breadth of knowledge that makes us collectively smarter and better able to compete. We are committed to recruiting, developing, and advancing a diverse staff and engaging in the hard work that makes that possible.