As an Engineering Manager at Opal, you will use your technical experience and business context to lead engineering teams in building the Opal Platform. You know the best products come from a blend of technology and design, effective coordination, execution, and superior communication. You are passionate about enabling a successful, high-performing and motivated team.
The day-to-day for an Engineering Manager at Opal involves leading architectural discussions, sourcing candidates to grow the team, tie-breaking an implementation debate, working with individuals to meet individual performance goals and project objectives, triaging high priority bugs, providing an empathetic ear to team members, and also acting as a contributing Engineer to maintain a connection to the work.
You will be a facilitator and advocate, a decision maker and coach, an individual contributor, and a sounding board for teammates, all while modeling professionalism, quality, and consistency in your activities.
Opal is currently operating fully remote as we navigate through COVID-19. We expect to reopen our HQ office in Portland, Oregon when it becomes safe and reasonable to do so.
Opal is the marketing and communications calendar that unites teams to do exceptional work. Teams who work together in Opal create unprecedented levels of visibility, build team alignment and improve operational efficiency. Visit workwithopal.com to learn why Opal is used by teams everywhere including Starbucks, Target, Minted, General Motors, T-Mobile and Zillow.
- Manage a team of Engineering staff in day-to-day performance, including but not limited to:One-on-one mentorship, including check-ins and reviews.
- Career development of the team and individual contributors.
- Create performance plans and conduct performance reviews in line with guidance from Opal HR.
- Delegation of tasks and responsibilities.
- Align team on goals and departmental expectations, prioritizing tasks and supporting individuals on assigned deliverables.
- Be a voice of the team to the business and the voice of the business to the team.
- Facilitate, collaborate, and code in conjunction with Engineers to build practical software designs, features, and tools.
- Contribute to Engineering production, maintaining knowledge of the codebase and technologies, and necessary context to be effective with team responsibilities and help to move projects forward.
- Maintain an expert understanding of, and ability to represent, technical debt to ensure appropriate resources are applied and good refactoring decisions are made.
- Ensure consistent use of best practices, sufficient processes, and software development tools to best enable the team to meet the requirements of the business and its customers.
- Work with the Product Manager and Engineering Project Manager to define project requirements, and understand, influence, communicate, and meet project/department milestones/goals.
- Work with Product Leadership to plan resources and execute against product strategy and company initiatives.
- Recruit to find the best candidates to fill positions in collaboration with Opal HR.
Skills, Experience, Knowledge:
- 5+ years of management experience, combined with senior engineering individual contributor experience in at least one domain.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high-growth and professional environment.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage a high-functioning technical team.
- Skilled at time and project management with the ability to move between priorities and manage deadlines across multiple focuses and teams.
- Excellent at prioritizing objectives and delegating tasks while minimizing distractions.
- Demonstrated experience working with Agile/Scrum development teams.
- Working knowledge of backend languages such as Ruby, Node or Elixir.
- Strong analytical skills paired with a high attention to detail and associated with a full-featured enterprise platform.
- Articulate communicator with the ability to break down information for an audience of Designers, Engineers, Product Managers and other stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, working well in an open and collaborative environment.
- Natural alignment with Opal’s Values: Professional, Intentional, Steadfast, Helpful, Creative, Passionate, and Empathetic.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Undergraduate degree required, or the equivalent professional working experience.
Opal is pleased to offer a comprehensive total rewards package for employees and their families, providing a diverse range of benefits such as:
- Competitive, market-leading compensation package, including stock options
- 100% company-paid individual premium for Medical/Rx, Dental, and Vision Insurance (with dependent premiums 50% company-paid)
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health, Dependent Care, Commuter, Parking
- Company-paid Group Life/AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance for your furry friend
- Flexible Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave & Flexible Back-to-Work Program
- 401(k) and Roth Retirement Plans
- Company-sponsored outreach and activity programs
- Modern office space with snacks, coffee, and friendly coworkers
Opal is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment. We believe a diverse workplace promotes innovation and enhances decision making. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, or veteran status.