Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, multi patented, clean technology start-up, located in Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines an environmentally safe, abundant, and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. Our advanced flow battery technology combines high performance with low cost, renewable integration designed for commercial, industrial, and utility applications.
Our team boasts decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. We are team building a disruptive, cutting edge technology. We are looking for motivated, hard-working, like-minded people to join our team of individuals who have a passion for sustainability, the environment, and who thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting. This position involves close interaction with numerous cross-functional disciplines, including engineering, and multiple manufacturing environments. Applicant must be comfortable working in a team environment that is fast paced and dynamic. A strong commitment to quality and continuous improvement is required.
2.0 Position Profile:
As a key leader in the Company’s finance organization, the VP Accounting & Controller* is responsible for managing the Company’s Accounting and Internal Control functions. This position oversees general accounting and reporting, external and internal audit coordination, revenue accounting, accounts payable, expense report audit, internal financial systems, cash flow projections and reporting, balance sheet management and coordinates tax and treasury matters with our US parent company. The Controller is responsible for all accounting policies & procedures, financial statements and footnotes, reporting controls, financial compliance, accounting services and transaction processing. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this highly skilled individual leads the Controllership organization and partners cross-functionally with leadership to ensure priorities are aligned with corporate objectives and appropriate financial controls.
- Positive attitude and strives to improve and learn new things every day.
- A sense of urgency, follow through, and reliability.
- Communicate clearly and effectively at all levels and capable of making presentations to the Board of Directors.
- Articulate, persuasive, and able to build confidence with the financial staff and the Leadership team.
- The ability to quickly command respect and credibility through intellectual acumen, business knowledge, and practical understanding of both the financial and operational aspects of a business.
4.0 Primary Responsibilities & Core Duties
- Manage month-end closing and reporting process with the focus on a best-in-class accounting close
- Prepare month-end financial statements, including P&L, balance sheet, and cash flow statements. Ensure accuracy of financial statements
- Review non-routine transactions, determine accounting treatment, and develop necessary policies and procedures
- Manage accounting services, including Accounts Payable and Revenue accounting
- Monitor and research changes in GAAP reporting requirements and implement changes as appropriate
- Key point of contact with auditors; ensure efficient audit engagements with timely support of processes and resolutions of any findings
- Ensure integrity of the internal control environment by enforcing corporate policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with IFRS and SOX controls standards, as well as any regulatory requirements
- Manage tax function, including data for preparation of federal/state tax returns and annual tax provision
- Ensures the accounting department is adequately prepared for compliance reviews, internal audits, and external audits.
- Support the timely reporting of key financial information, monitor the performance and quality of activities performed based upon company standards.
- Ensure the adequate systems and procedures are in place to provide controls, safeguarding of assets and the efficient execution of financial activities.
- Responsible for the internal reporting of financial results to the Board of Directors as well as senior management.
- Develop and report annual budget and monthly reforecast.
- Analyze Financial Statements
- Responsible for the Quarterly Call Report.
- Recommend improvements to accounting policies and procedures ensuring changes drive the implementation of directives.
- Help implement and maintain effective internal controls and procedures.
5.0 Additional Requirements & Qualifications
- Legally authorized, U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency. – See Note:
- Ability to fluently read and write English, comprehend, and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations.
- Must be willing to submit to a Background Check and a Drug Test according to the BOLI rules and Regulations.
- Regular, consistent, and punctual attendance is required.
Education & Experience Desired
- Requires 12+ years’ experience in accounting and finance, including significant experience with public companies
- BA/BS degree
- MBA or advanced Degree preferred
- CPA required
- Big 4 public accounting and audit experience is required.
- Strong technical accounting skills; a thorough knowledge of IFRS and GAAP, with an emphasis on revenue recognition, gross-to-net rebate/discount accounting, contingent liability and clinical trial accounting
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and interface with Executive Management.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with strong analytical and organizational abilities
- Ability to work well independently and in groups
- Skilled with Microsoft Office and other Programs
- Well organized with the ability to manage multiple tasks and work to time sensitive deadlines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is largely sedentary role, requiring use of typical office equipment such as a computer, laptop and phone.
- Ability to communicate both in person and/or by telephone
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For the most part, ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional equipment as found in a typical office environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
6.0 What ESS Offers
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual; and public transportation assistance.
Note: As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, and who does not require a visa sponsorship or who is of H1B1 status.
Job Type: Full-time
*position may be filled at a lower level depending on qualifications
Pay Dependent on Experience
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $135,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
ESS has a COVID policy in place.
- Accounting: 10 years (Required)
- CPA (Required)