Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, multi patented, clean technology start-up, located in Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines an environmentally safe, abundant, and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. Our advanced flow battery technology combines high performance with low cost, renewable integration designed for commercial, industrial, and utility applications.
Our team boasts decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. We are team building a disruptive, cutting edge technology. We are looking for motivated, hard-working, like-minded people to join our team of individuals who have a passion for sustainability, the environment, and who thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting. This position involves close interaction with numerous cross-functional disciplines, including engineering, and multiple manufacturing environments. Applicant must be comfortable working in a team environment that is fast paced and dynamic. A strong commitment to quality and continuous improvement is required.
2.0 Position Profile:
ESS is looking for a motivated and versatile Commodity Manager to join our team. Our current program scope involves the design, development, installation, evaluation, and documentation of large-scale battery systems.
A Commodity Manager develops, implements, and maintains a commodity strategy that supports the company’s supply chain, including quality, cost, production, and inventory goals. Evaluates market conditions to maintain inventory levels and control costs. Evaluates and recommends vendors and manages ongoing relationships with suppliers. The responsibilities below define the current needs in a dynamic company with lots of room for future career growth.
Coordinates purchasing activities with manufacturing, planning and engineering departments to acquire inventory in a cost effective and timely manner. Negotiates with suppliers to obtain most favorable price, schedule and terms and conditions. Maintains supplier scorecard with KPS’s that report supplier performance. Responsible for procurement business system data input and integrity; evaluates and maintains bills of material and parts/commodities numbers in supply chain management or other enterprise-wide systems. Participates in maximizing the procurement teams' changes, part parameters. Performs cost analysis and volume planning for major commodities (e.g., materials, components, equipment and services). Monitors the cost, schedule and scope of assigned subcontracts to negotiate highest quality at best value. Develops new supply sources where vendors and suppliers are no longer competitive. May recommend cost saving proposals including make-versus-buy analysis or alternative sourcing. Interacts closely with suppliers and QA to resolve quality issues. Monitor supplier performance against set goals to ensure continuous supplier improvement and continuity of supply. Works with management to address all aspects of commodity management, including procurement support, commodity business plans, market trends assessment, pricing, and product availability. Requires domestic or global expertise of assigned commodities. Job might also require processing of purchase requisitions, purchase change orders and requests for quotes to suppliers.
- Positive attitude and strives to improve and learn new things every day.
- A sense of urgency, follow through, and reliability.
- Regular, consistent, and punctual attendance is required.
- Knowledge of quality systems, supplier evaluation tools (ie, D&B reports, P&L statements, etc.)
- Know when and how to ask for assistance to ensure understanding of projects and tasks.
- A strong communicator capable of building relationships at all levels within the organization and a team player.
- Accepts routine change in the job and department.
- Ability to anticipate needs of the shop.
- Possesses good written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Demonstrates persistence, good judgment, strong decision making, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, and overcoming obstacles.
- Uses good time management
- Proficient using a PC in a Windows environment with knowledge of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel.
4.0 Primary Responsibilities & Core Duties
- Work with key stakeholders to initiate, plan and manage sourcing activities across various commodities from inception through contract execution.
- Analyze historical spend to proactively identify sourcing and savings opportunities.
- Develop and manage Rfx activities to drive measurable savings results.
- Manage all contract documentation and facilitate supplier management activities, including business reviews, supplier scorecards and ongoing relationship management.
- Monitor and coordinate supplier metrics.
- Maintain all controlled document files and test records in a timely and accurate manner.
- Evaluate problems and make initial recommendations for possible corrective action to supervisor.
- Always maintain acceptable 5S housekeeping standards to keep production and work areas clean. Ensuring that all tools, materials, and supplies are returned to their designated locations as soon as the task is finished.
5.0 Additional Requirements & Qualifications
- Legally authorized, U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency. – See Note:
- Ability to fluently read and write English, comprehend, and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations.
- Must be willing to submit to a Background Check and a Drug Test according to the BOLI rules and Regulations.
- Regular, consistent, and punctual attendance is required.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Very detail oriented highly organized and able to manage multiple priorities.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment with dynamic daily priorities.
- Experience in new-product introduction and scale to manufacturing.
- Solid working knowledge of procurement best practices, quality systems, processes and procedures.
- Experience with the injection molded plastics, cast aluminum, machined parts, chemicals and OEM components used for fluids/flow control.
- Knowledge of ISO a plus.
- Requires a BS Degree or higher, preferred Supply Chain Management
- 5+ years of experience.
- Travel required up to 25%
- Frequent to constant movement throughout the day.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Warehouse/ manufacturing environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, and who does not require a visa sponsorship or who is of H1B1 status.
6.0 What ESS Offers
- In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, and a generous PTO accrual.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
COVID policy and procedures are in place and practiced accordingly.
- Bachelor's (Required)
- relative: 5 years (Required)
- manufacturing environment: 2 years (Preferred)