As an Engineering Manager, DevOps at Opal, you will use your technical experience and business context to lead engineering teams in building the Opal Platform. You know the best products come from a blend of technology and design, effective coordination, execution, and superior communication. You are passionate about enabling a successful, high-performing and motivated team.
The day-to-day for an Engineering Manager at Opal involves leading infrastructure and architectural discussions, sourcing candidates to grow the team, tie-breaking an implementation debate, working with individuals to meet individual performance goals and project objectives, triaging high priority bugs, providing an empathetic ear to team members, and also acting as a contributing Engineer to maintain a connection to the work.
You will be a facilitator and advocate, a decision maker and coach, an individual contributor, and a sounding board for teammates, all while modeling professionalism, quality, and consistency in your activities.
Opal is currently operating fully remote as we navigate through COVID-19. We expect to reopen our HQ office in Portland, Oregon when it becomes safe and reasonable to do so.
Opal is the marketing and communications calendar that unites teams to do exceptional work. Teams who work together in Opal create unparalleled levels of visibility, build team alignment and improve operational efficiency. Visit workwithopal.com to learn why Opal is used by teams everywhere including Starbucks, Target, Minted, General Motors, T-Mobile and Zillow.
- Manage a team of Engineering staff in day-to-day performance, including but not limited to:
- One-on-one mentorship, including check-ins and reviews.
- Career development of the team and individual contributors.
- Create performance plans and conduct performance reviews in line with guidance from Opal HR.
- Delegation of tasks and responsibilities.
- Align team on goals and departmental expectations, prioritizing tasks and supporting individuals on assigned deliverables.
- Be a voice of the team to the business and the voice of the business to the team.
- Assist with monitoring and managing resource usage and consumption for the Opal platform, such as cloud hosting costs, vendor management, and server instances.
- Advise on concerns related to DevOps architecture and security, such as vendor/tool/platform selection, automation pipelines, process and policy.
- Own the concerns related to the business continuity, incident response, and disaster-recovery of the Opal platform, such as service delivery, uptime, systems/site reliability and scalability.
- Continuously improve the state of monitoring, reporting, configuration, testing, planning, and deployment of the Opal platform infrastructure and supporting system through leading a team of DevOps engineers and SecOps professionals and guiding their work.
- Identify friction points or roadblocks for your team and business strategies. Work with Product Directors to implement plans or strategies to reduce those friction points or roadblocks.
- Perform operational risk management, internal and external communications, status reporting for Opal infrastructure and support services.
- Facilitate, collaborate, and code in conjunction with Engineers to build practical software designs, features, and tools.
- Perform as a strong, occasional, contributing Engineer to maintain a working knowledge of the codebase and technologies to maintain the necessary context to be effective with team responsibilities and help to move projects forward.
- Maintain an expert understanding of, and ability to represent, technical debt to ensure appropriate resources are applied and good refactoring decisions are made.
- Ensure consistent use of best practices, sufficient processes, and software development tools to best enable the team to meet the requirements of the business and its customers.
- Work with the Product Manager and Engineering Project Manager to define project requirements, and understand, influence, communicate, and meet project/department milestones/goals.
- Work with Product Directors to plan resources and execute against product strategy and company initiatives.
- Recruit to find the best candidates to fill positions in collaboration with Opal HR.
Skills, Experience, Knowledge:
- 5+ years of experience in a senior engineering individual contributor role; combined with at least one year of experience in a supervisory role.
- A willingness to plan and execute the visions for your team and Opal with a fair degree of “greenfield” tech. Opal provides for a lot of room in how our DevOps team executes and requires a leader that wants to execute on that opportunity.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Natural alignment with Opal’s Values: Professional, Intentional, Steadfast, Helpful, Creative, Passionate, and Empathetic.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high-growth and professional environment.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage a high-functioning technical team.
- Excellent at prioritizing objectives and delegating tasks while minimizing distractions.
- AWS or Azure ecosystem mastery with a strong understanding of modern web application architectures, both service-oriented and monolithic, ideally focused around Ruby-on-Rails and Elixir.
- Experience with infrastructure as code and technologies behind it (Terraform preferred).
- Experience working with production web applications on cloud-based hosting and containerized technologies like Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience in developing CI/CD strategies. Bonus points if you have used Declarative GitOps strategies or systems like Argo CD.
- Demonstrated ability to engineer security into full stack architectures on next-generation cloud and container platforms.
- Knowledge on load balancers, network device authentication, firewalls, network segregation, VPNs, Security Information and Event Management.
- Skilled at time and project management with the ability to move between priorities and manage deadlines across multiple focuses and teams.
- Strong analytical skills paired with a high attention to detail and associated with a full-featured enterprise platform.
- Articulate communicator with the ability to break down information for an audience of Designers, Engineers, Product Managers and other stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, working well in an open and collaborative environment.
- Ability to document and implement new processes or revamping existing processes when needed.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent professional working experience required.
Opal is pleased to offer a comprehensive total rewards package for employees and their families, providing a diverse range of benefits such as:
- Competitive, market-leading compensation package, including stock options
- 100% company-paid individual premium for Medical/Rx, Dental, and Vision Insurance (with dependent premiums 50% company-paid)
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health, Dependent Care, Commuter, Parking
- Company-paid Group Life/AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance for your furry friend
- Flexible Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave & Flexible Back-to-Work Program
- 401(k) and Roth Retirement Plans
- Company-sponsored outreach and activity programs
- Modern office space with snacks, coffee, and friendly coworkers
Opal is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment. We believe a diverse workplace promotes innovation and enhances decision making. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, or veteran status.