Bigleaf has a strong culture of resourceful innovation. We’re looking for a software engineering leader to join our executive team to maintain and foster that culture while removing roadblocks and bringing clarity across the company. If you have experience leading an engineering team with healthy structures and agile processes in a fast-growth company with $10MM+ of revenue, then this might be a great fit.
As VP of Software Engineering at Bigleaf you’ll be responsible for both the individual the success of the software organization, and how that team helps accomplish all of our company objectives. Heartfelt Service is one of our values, so we believe the attitude and objectives of each team (department) should serve the needs of both our customers and the other teams in the company. Major areas of your role are:
Executive Leadership and Team Growth
- Build and execute on high-level strategy, cross-department collaboration, processes, and long-term term planning.
- Envision and bring to fruition a software engineering organization that is an integrated and empowering part of the company, is effective at accomplishing goals on time, is highly resourceful and innovative, and behaves in line with Bigleaf’s values.
- Craft and lead through needed organizational policies and decisions, e.g. SDLC, org chart, and open source strategy.
- Recruit, hire, and mentor a thriving, innovative team with healthy and scalable structures.
- Lead teams in balancing technical excellence and exploration against business efficiency and focus. Collaborate with the Bigleaf leadership team(s) to ensure alignment between various company/department objectives and the tasks and focus of the software engineering organization.
Processes and Collaboration
- Create and maintain communication structures that ensure company-wide alignment for new features being delivered, bug-fixes, and collaborative operational projects along established timelines.
- In collaboration with our Product and Service delivery teams, ensure a healthy product -> dev -> release/support cycle is in place, that is supported by appropriate planning, systems, and communication
- Provide development resources for operational needs (DevOps), such as supporting software and resolving operational issues via routine and on-call mechanisms.
- Deliver innovative products and features that accomplish our mission and objectives while leveraging our unique skills and experience.
- Collaborate with our Chief Architect and other key team members to build, maintain, and grow scalable technology solutions that are tailored to our unique size, scale and culture.
- Collaboratively explore technology vision and possibilities with your team, senior leadership, customers, analysts, and other resources to create a vision for how Bigleaf can further accomplish its mission through new and advancing technology.
- Grow the reliability and performance of Bigleaf technology and systems while also increasing the pace of innovation. Where these conflict, collaborate heavily with executive team members to agree upon appropriate prioritization and tradeoffs.
- At least 5 years of experience leading and scaling software engineering team(s), with some of that as part of a high-growth venture-backed startup.
- At least 2 years of experience in DevOps leadership in a public-facing service environment, such as a SaaS company, datacenter, internet carrier, CDN, or other service provider.
- Strong background in and knowledge of computer science
- Creative, resourceful, and innovative approach to problem solving.
- An attitude of serving customers and team members in a humble and consultative manner
- Demonstrated care for and experience in the professional and personal development of team members
- Strong ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical people in written and spoken English
- Self-starter approach to identifying and accomplishing goals
- Understanding of networking and internet fundamentals
- Understanding of information security
- Ability to be on-call for escalation matters
- Ability to travel occasionally (a few times per year)
This is a very exciting period of growth for our team. We appreciate you taking the time to carefully read through this ad. Our vision is to bring peace into the lives of our customers through advanced technology and excellent service. If you would like to join us in this role, please send along a resume and cover letter of how you meet the qualifications above and why you’re interested. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability, 401k with match and a stock options plan.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and feel it makes our teams stronger, so if you meet the qualifications for this role please feel free to apply.