Working at CrowdStreet
CrowdStreet believes that the markets are stronger when they are more accessible, transparent, and efficient–for everyone. We are a team dedicated to transforming the world of commercial real estate (CRE) through technology and have been recognized by leading industry publications including Globe St. and CRETech. Our online Marketplace gives investors direct access to commercial real estate investment opportunities, while simultaneously helping real estate sponsors and developers raise capital online.
Headquartered in downtown Portland, our offices overlook historic Pioneer Square. We offer great employee benefits and are committed to fostering a fantastic culture, including moving to a permanent hybrid work environment. To help empower our employees to work where they work best, we’re providing everyone with laptops, a monthly stipend to help cover expenses, and the ability to come into the office–under strict safety guidelines–as needed. We’re also hosting weekly digital All Hands to keep everyone connected.
Over the years, CrowdStreet has been recognized by top industry publications as a leader in the commercial real estate space. Named by The Oregonian as a 2020 Top Places to Work, CrowdStreet is also a Forbes Top 500 Best Startup Employer, part of the Deloitte Technology Fast 500, the 2020 Oregon Technology Awards Accelerate Company of the Year, and was ranked #5 for "Fastest Growing Private Companies in Oregon & SW Washington" by the Portland Business Journal.
We are growing our Data Engineering Team with the addition of a Data Scientist. In this role you’ll be working with our Data Engineer and Data Analyst to bring the next generation of analysis for CrowdStreet’s Investor journeys and offering assessment processes. You’ll identify new sources of data essential to better analyze, build and deploy score and recommender models, and work with Engineering to expose your analyses to CrowdStreet’s Marketplace investors and our internal consumers.
As a Data Scientist at CrowdStreet, you’ll be a part of a small and expanding Data Engineering Team, leveraging a maturing data warehouse platform. You’ll be diving deep into Snowflake, centralizing business definitions and ubiquitous language, identifying gaps in needed data, and helping expose areas to be cleaned and better transformed. As business needs and available data have both been identified, you’ll start building out statistical and predictive models to enhance analysis of marketing and investor relations. You’ll continue training and adding models to aspire towards the ideal investor journey, while partnering with the data team to find new data to bring into your domain.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in a related quantitative field (Data Science, Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering, Physics, Economics).
- 3+ years of relevant working experience manipulating data sets, building statistical models and recommendation engines, performing time-series forecasting, marketing trend analysis, etc.
- Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SQL, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
- Experience with modern Machine Learning frameworks and/or platforms (Tensorflow, PyTorch, SageMaker).
- Exceptional at assessing data to determine behaviors, offer recommendations, identify trends, and return predictions, using proven approaches of statistical analysis and machine learning.
- Comfortable in Cloud-native services (AWS), Data Warehouses & Data Lakes - Snowflake a plus.
- Familiar with ELT tools such as Stitch, dbt_, data cleaning tools.
- Strong communication skills, you’ll be working with every segment of the business, collecting requirements, understanding behaviors, and collaborating with product & engineering.
- Familiar and capable in the full analytics stack, analyzing and ingressing new data sources, specifying and/or building transformations, and materializing in data warehouses.
- Working with Java, REST and Python
- Previous backenddata engineering experience will be valuable on this small, but growing team.
- Financial, real estate or marketing experience is a plus.
At CrowdStreet, we believe inclusion and diversity are critical in achieving our goals. We understand that differences in age, race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, physical ability, thinking style and background bring a breadth of knowledge that makes us collectively smarter and better able to compete. We are committed to recruiting, developing, and advancing a diverse staff and engaging in the hard work that makes that possible.