Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, multi patented, clean technology start-up, located in Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines an environmentally safe, abundant, and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design.
Our advanced flow battery technology combines high performance with low cost, renewable integration designed for commercial, industrial, and utility applications.
Our team boasts decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. We are team building a disruptive, cutting edge technology. We are looking for motivated, hard-working, like-minded people to join our team of individuals who have a passion for sustainability, the environment, and who thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting. This position involves close interaction with numerous engineering disciplines. Applicant must be comfortable working in a team environment that is fast paced and dynamic. A strong commitment to quality and continuous improvement is required.
ESS is seeking a dynamic Mechanical Designer/Drafter with a strong background in 3D CAD systems, mechanical design, thermodynamics, fluid flow, and structural analysis. The role will focus on supporting the development of ESS’s advanced battery technology to ensure product life, cost, and efficiency.
Candidates with knowledge of large and complex industrial products, containerized manufacturing & transport are highly desired. Experience in battery, fuel cell technologies or power generation systems are helpful. The ideal candidate will have a passion for sustainability and the environment, will thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting, be self-motivated and have an interest in disruptive, cutting edge technology. The successful candidate understands the culture, the rigor, and the challenges of a start-up environment.
In this technical position, you will:
- Utilize 3‐D CAD systems, Autodesk Inventor, to produce complex detailed models and prepare denoted, dimensioned drawings suitable for manufacturing using appropriate tolerance and GD&T practices.
- Apply mathematics and physics to compute load capacities, dimensions, material usage and Bills of Materials (BOMs).
- Execute updates and redesigns of existing processes and related equipment that are feasible to manufacture.
- Actively communicate specific work requirements or needs to internal functions, such as purchasing and manufacturing to ensure expectations are understood as defined by engineering specifications.
- Interface with suppliers, manufacturing, sales, and marketing in the product development process.
- Design and build fixtures and tooling to support manufacturing needs.
- Operate drill press, grinders, engine lathe, or other machines to modify parts tested or to fabricate experimental parts for testing.
- Collaborate with mechanical engineers or other personnel to identify, define, or solve developmental problems.
- Ensure engineering design and standards documentation is complete, accurate and sufficient in support of manufacturing and quality assurance activities, and compliant with customer specifications and regulations.
- Design electrical and mechanical component assemblies to comply with functional requirements.
- Document and present designs for team review.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Associate of Science or Associate of Applied Science degree.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a drafter or mechanical designer using professional CAD platforms.
- Experience with electrical assembly documentation preferred
- Experience with CAD version control systems (Autodesk Vault) preferred
- Experience commercializing new technologies in a production environment is preferred.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment with dynamic daily priorities.
Desired Skills & Knowledge
- Proven proficiency in professional CAD platforms (Autodesk Inventor preferred) for design, documentation, and fabrication.
- Understanding of a wide variety of manufacturing techniques and an ability to design parts and assemblies accordingly.
- Experience with designing and building fixtures, tools, machines, and prototypes.
- Must have experience with creating drawings of parts and assemblies using standard tolerance practices and GD&T (ASME Y14.5).
- Strong communication and presentation skills, affable, and demonstrated maturity and professionalism
- Able to work in a cross-functional and geographically dispersed team environment.
- Experience interacting with Lab and Engineering operations.
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S. - U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency.
- Must be a "self‐starter" and follow tasks through to completion with little guidance.
- Must be able to work in a team environment to collectively solve problems.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. unassisted.
- Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations.
What ESS Offers
Benefits: In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual; and public transportation assistance.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
COVID-19 policy in place
- Associate (Required)
- mechanical drafting or designing: 2 years (Preferred)