CrowdStreet believes that the markets are stronger when they are more accessible, transparent, and efficient–for everyone. We are a team dedicated to transforming the world of commercial real estate (CRE) through technology and have been recognized by leading industry publications including Globe St. and CRETech. Our online Marketplace gives investors direct access to commercial real estate investment opportunities, while simultaneously helping real estate sponsors and developers raise capital online.
Headquartered in downtown Portland, our offices overlook historic Pioneer Square. We offer great employee benefits and are committed to fostering a fantastic culture, even as our team has moved to 100% remote in the wake of COVID. To help empower our employees to work where they work best, we’re providing everyone with laptops, a monthly stipend to help cover expenses, and the ability to come into the office–under strict safety guidelines–as needed. We’re also hosting weekly digital All Hands to keep everyone connected.
Named by The Oregonian as a 2020 Top Places to Work, CrowdStreet is also a Forbes Top 500 Best Startup Employer, the 2019 Oregon Technology Awards Rising Star, and the Oregon Entrepreneurs Network (OEN) 2019 Growth Stage Company of the Year.
To support our company’s rapid growth, the Chief Financial Officer/Chief Operating Officer is seeking a stellar VP, General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer to be responsible for the development and execution of legal and compliance functions. This senior leadership role will represent the company on all legal, regulatory, and compliance matters and direct the daily execution of such matters, upholding the highest personal, professional, and ethical conduct.
What you’ll be doing:
- Act as the principal legal advisor to executives and the company on all legal and regulatory matters.
- Provide thought leadership to the Investments deal team regarding the sponsor vetting and review process, including all transactional functions, general contract, and sponsor evaluation matters.
- Support the development of new investment products and services.
- Produce thought leadership content (both sponsor and investor facing) on how to produce and review online investor documents.
- Review Sponsor offering and governance documents, including, but not limited to, private placement memorandum, operating agreements, and subscription agreements to ensure conformance with marketplace standards, continuity and alignment with other Sponsor offering documents.
- Manage all external counsel and compliance consultant relationships, including spend and overall departmental budget.
- Partner with the CFO/CCO to strengthen internal controls, establish a comprehensive risk management framework, and improve the company's operational velocity.
- Responsible for administrative and governance matters relating to the Board of Directors and related committees.
- Partner with Finance and People Operations for initiatives related to legal entities, tax structures, real estate and employment.
- Provide guidance to the People Operations team on employment matters and collaborate on various employment agreements.
Compliance & Regulatory Matters
- Represent the company in support of federal and state regulators.
- Continuously stay up to date with changes to regulations, promulgating updates/changes to the organization.
- Provide effective challenge and oversight to the implementation and adherence to all policies, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Define, develop and disambiguate control requirements based on authoritative sources.
- Work alongside departments and key leaders to support the development of marketing, advertising and any publicly facing material to ensure adherence to laws, regulations and corporate policies.
- Work cross-departmentally to educate CrowdStreet staff on Sponsor related matters.
What We Must Have
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law program
- 10+ years progressive legal experience, including minimum of 3+ years in-house as a Corporate Counsel or Senior Corporate Counsel
- Experience and deep knowledge of key investments related regulatory and compliance requirements
- Experience with recruiting, developing and motivating key talent to achieve company objectives and managing within a start-up environment
- Minimum of two (2) years real estate transactions experience through relevant work experience in real estate private equity, commercial real estate, or investments
- Experience with 506(c), 506(b) and Reg A+ offerings
- Experience with SEC and FINRA compliance requirements
- Demonstrated ability to set strategy, targets, and achieve desired results
- Meticulous attention to detail, and strong negotiating skills
What is Nice to Have
- Undergraduate degree in finance or business administration
- Securities legal experience
- Broker Dealer experience
- Experience with FinTech enterprises, and in particular Crowdfunding platforms
How to apply:
Please submit your resume online with a cover letter stating:
1) Why you’re interested in working for CrowdStreet, and
2) A brief summary of how you meet each of our qualifications. The best way to do this is to copy/paste the requirements bullets and put a brief answer after each summarizing your relevant experience.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, gender, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status under local, state, or federal law.