Lumen Learning’s mission is to enable unprecedented learning for all students, regardless of socioeconomic background, by creating affordable and effective learning tools and experiences.
We’re looking for a full-time Engineer to join our team – a small, highly collaborative product development team focused on our STEM platform, Lumen Online Homework Manager (OHM). OHM is a feature-rich course building and assessment platform that provides faculty all the tools they need to effectively teach and engage students at a substantially lower cost than traditional publisher materials ($25 vs $100 per course per term!). Joining the OHM team means you get to build delightful, effective learning tools to foster faculty and student learning and engagement which replace prohibitively expensive traditional publisher platforms.
At Lumen Learning, we are committed to building and supporting a diverse team where inclusion is practiced every day. We know we can only achieve our goals by creating an engineering team of differing perspectives, social circumstances, values, and talents, including members of historically marginalized communities.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You care about making a difference in higher education. Last year we saved hundreds of thousands of students money (over $20 million in total) and improved their academic success rates. This year we’re aiming even higher. At Lumen Learning, we love knowing our work makes a big difference to students and faculty all over the US.
- You have experience building and maintaining applications in a number of stacks, including Node/TypeScript. This role requires someone who would be excited about building out new applications using Node and TypeScript as well as diving into and fixing bugs in a large existing procedural code base in PHP. Our ideal candidate has explored, evaluated, and recommended different technology stacks in the past and is interested in doing more of that as we grow and change.
- You are interested in exploring, evaluating, and recommending new technologies.
- You enjoy solving problems collaboratively. You’ll be an essential member of a close-knit, cross-functional team that includes other Engineers (frontend and backend), a Director of Engineering, a UX designer, a QA, two Product Managers, and a VP of Product. We collaborate a lot, not only in our respective product teams but also across products and occasionally departments.
- You take responsibility for not only the quality of your code but also the code of your teammates. Every engineer on our team writes test cases and participates in code reviews. In every commit, we work to improve the code base for not only ourselves but also future developers.
- You are excited to work on a team that values humor, generosity, diversity, work ethic, intelligence, passion, and humility.
- You have worked with GitHub and deployment pipelines.
- You are familiar with developing for and deploying to the cloud, especially AWS environments.
Your day-to-day in this role:
- Working closely with our product managers to gain insight into our customers and internal stakeholders, uncovering feature opportunities, needs, and creative solutions.
- Working in a cross-functional team to plan and build new features in Node/TypeScript and maintain features in PHP.
- Writing clean, well-tested, and performant code.
- Squashing bugs, improving performance, and refactoring existing code to improve development velocity and maintainability.
- Architecting new features so that they integrate (in a smart, sustainable way) with the existing platform, and in some cases third-party libraries/frameworks.
- Experimenting with new technologies and processes that enable the delivery of research-inspired learning features to students and instructors.
- Participating in learning and knowledge building as part of a curious and developing team.
- Contributing to Lumen’s evolving product development practices.
- Premium medical, dental & vision coverage – with a fully paid premium for employees.
- Flexible paid time off
- 401k with company match