Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, multi patented, clean technology start-up, located in Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines an environmentally safe, abundant, and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. Our advanced flow battery technology combines high performance with low cost, renewable integration designed for commercial, industrial, and utility applications.
Our team boasts decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. We are team building a disruptive, cutting edge technology. We are looking for motivated, hard-working, like-minded people to join our team of individuals who have a passion for sustainability, the environment, and who thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting. This position involves close interaction with numerous cross-functional disciplines, including engineering, and multiple manufacturing environments. Applicant must be comfortable working in a team environment that is fast paced and dynamic. A strong commitment to quality and continuous improvement is required.
2.0 Position Profile
ESS is looking for a motivated, hard-working Mechanical Engineering Technician to join our team.
This team member will be skilled in working with mechanical and electrical engineers to assemble batteries and other mechanical systems. Duties will include: Set up, operate, and maintain test equipment to evaluate performance of developmental parts, assemblies, or systems under simulated operating conditions and record results.
· Positive attitude and strives to improve and learn new things every day.
· A sense of urgency, follow through and reliability.
· Good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a small, dynamic team.
· Work independently and proactively.
· Capability to work on and around industrial power systems.
· Proficiency troubleshooting electromechanical systems and mechanisms down to the component level.
· Experience with basic electrical wiring and electrical schematics a plus.
· Experience with programming g-code and operating CNC equipment a plus.
· Experience with reading engineering drawings and mechanical P&IDs a must.
· Use basic measuring equipment (calipers, height gauge, micrometer, etc.) to inspect parts and assemblies according to mechanical drawings.
· Proficient skills with basic shop tools (CNC, lathe, drill press, hand tools, etc.) to fabricate or modify components and assemblies.
4.0 Primary Responsibilities & Core Duties
· Follow written and verbal work instructions.
· Assemble and operate electromechanical systems that include structural, plumbing, pneumatic, and hydraulic components.
· Collaborate with mechanical engineers or other personnel to identify, define, or solve developmental problems.
· Provide technical assistance and resolution when mechanical or engineering problems are encountered before, during, and after construction.
· Communicate design issues/problems effectively to engineers.
· Build, calibrate, maintain, troubleshoot, or repair electrical and mechanical tools and test equipment including but not limited to: metrology tools, hand tools, drill press, table saw, CNC router, lathe, carver hot press, etc.
· Construct and perform reliability tests on various key system components.
· Record test results and perform basic calculations.
· Perform in-process inspections steps to ensure the quality of the work performed and the functionality of the component and/or module.
· Always maintain acceptable housekeeping standards to keep production and work areas clean. Ensuring that all tools, materials, and supplies are returned to their designated locations as soon as the task is finished.
5.0 Additional Requirements & Qualifications
· Legally authorized, U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency. – See Note:
· Ability to fluently read and write English, comprehend, and follow verbal and written instructions.
· Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes.
· Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations.
· Must be willing to submit to a Background Check and a Drug Test according to the BOLI rules and Regulations.
· Regular, consistent, and punctual attendance is required.
· Experience in a manufacturing environment with dynamic daily priorities.
· Experience in new-product introduction and scale to manufacturing.
· Experience operating 3D printers a plus.
· Experience with battery or fuel cell systems a plus.
· Proficient using a PC - Windows environment with knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Ppt, Word
· Experience with the properties of common plastics used in manufacturing.
· Requires an AS Degree or higher in Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology.
· Intermediate to advanced shop math. Knowledge of English/Metric system measurement.
· Frequent to constant movement throughout the day.
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
· The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Warehouse/ manufacturing environment.
· Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, and who does not require a visa sponsorship or who is of H1B1 status.
6.0 What ESS Offers
· In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 6 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual; and public transportation assistance.
· Pay Dependent on Experience:
o Hourly: $20 - $30 DOE
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 - $30.00 per hour
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
ESS has a Covid-19 Policy in place.
- Associate (Required)
- Wilsonville, OR 97070 (Required)
- English (Required)
- United States (Required)
- Are you willing to undergo a Drug Test in accordance with local laws and regulations?
- One location
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
- Waiting period may apply