Candidates need to be located in the Portland, OR metro area. Unfortunately, we cannot support fully-remote employees or relocation services at this time.
Hi there. We’re Bumped. A tech company on a mission to build meaningful, lasting relationships between customers and companies by turning loyal shoppers into shareholders. Along the way, we make the (traditional, sometimes stodgy) stock market more approachable, understandable, and—dare we say it—fun.
We’re building something great to help turn everyone into a stock owner. We partner with banks, brands, and businesses that are passionate about relationships with their customers and want to give a compelling, new reward. It's not about us. It's about consumers and the companies they love, loving them back.
We're looking for engineers to join our highly talented team as we blaze new fintech territory.
The focus of this role is to build, secure, automate and operate our platform infrastructure running on Google Cloud (GCP). This role will join the platform team that collectively owns the services and infrastructure that powers the entire Bumped experience.
At Bumped, You’ll:
- Collaborate with other platform team members to design, automate and operate our cloud infrastructure.
- Develop tooling to automate all the things from infrastructure provisioning to service deployment.
- Design, implement and maintain security controls across the entire Bumped organization. Serve as a key stakeholder and representative on security related issues.
- Identify, recommend and implement improvements that increase the resiliency, security and throughput of our systems and services.
- Expand our monitoring and observability capabilities to provide a more holistic view of the Bumped platform.
- Participate in on-call rotation and incident response alongside other team members.
- Develop, maintain and review code for Bumped platform services.
- Mentor junior engineers from diverse backgrounds as they advance through their careers.
Projects you might work on in your first 6 months:
- Implement a service mesh like Istio or Linkerd within our kubernetes cluster to increase the resiliency of our microservices.
- Implement canary deployments to test changes before fully rolling out a new release.
- Design and implement automatic failover of our service infrastructure to a new cloud region.
Experience & Skills
Humility is our #1 job requirement. We hope that candidates will bring the following competencies and expertise, not their ego. If you get the impression that you would be a great fit at Bumped, but don’t necessarily have experience with all skills below, that is okay. We are looking for someone who can find what they love and own it.
Core skill requirements:
- Have 5+ years experience building and operating infrastructure in a cloud-native environment.
- Possess an applied knowledge of system observability via monitoring, metrics, alerting and tracing to our growing micro-service architecture.
- Enjoy working with Google Cloud Platform.
- Knowledge of containerized deployments and container orchestration systems (Docker, Kubernetes, GKE, Amazon EKS/ECS)
- Experience working with infrastructure provisioning and configuration management tools (especially Terraform).
- Understand modern security best practices and have experience working in an audited environment.
- Knowledge of a systems programming language like Go, Python, Java/Kotlin
- Exposure to NodeJS and JVM based microservices.
- Understand the unique traits of working on SaaS platforms held to high standards of availability, latency and throughput.
- Value automation and infrastructure as code.
- Sincerely enjoy communicating and collaborating with a thriving team of engineers on a daily basis.
- Think of yourself as someone who wants to be a part of a growth stage startup.
- Take pride in creating simple, readable and maintainable code.
- Possess experience working in financial services or other regulated industries.
Working at Bumped
Here at Bumped, we believe in a culture of leadership. That means that all of our employees...
Own It: Leaders own results—whether things go right or wrong. We hold ourselves and each other accountable, we learn from our mistakes, we don’t point fingers.
Get the Big Picture: Always seek to understand what’s happening beneath the surface—from how we make company decisions to how your team prioritizes projects. Ask questions when you don’t understand directives or decisions. It’s much easier to believe in a mission when you fully understand it, as opposed to doing so simply because it was a directive.
Assess Your Alignment: Make sure everything you do—on an org, team, or project-level—is aligned with our overarching company goals and values. We must move in the same direction, or nothing will get done.
Be Advanced Humans: We value diversity, inclusivity, and humility. We’re working hard to do something big, and we never lose sight of ethics and respect for all.