If you love the mix of people, processes, and physical goods involved in a well-tuned business operation, then this might be the role for you.
Welcome to Bigleaf – we keep businesses connected to the cloud. Check out more info on our homepage: http://www.bigleaf.net
Our business is growing quickly and maturing, and we’re looking for an experienced and hands-on VP of Operations to join our executive team. You’ll report to our CEO and have a major impact on the success of the business.
Bigleaf is a well-funded fast-growing startup, so your day-to-day tasks will vary quite a bit and morph over time, but here’s an overview:
- Team and Operations Leadership: In this role your years of operations leadership experience will shine. You’ll act as both an individual contributor on key projects, as well as a strategic team leader for your small but growing team. You’ll train, guide, challenge, encourage, correct, and reward team members, and do other typical management and leadership tasks to ensure the health and success of each person on your team. You’ll also leverage your strong knowledge of business and IT operations practices to implement and maintain those practices across the business, in some cases directly leading efforts, and at other times collaborating with other team leaders. Your years of wisdom in this area will protect Bigleaf’s operations, while also
- Turn Sales into Revenue: After our marketing and sales teams have earned new business from our customers, you’ll ensure that we quickly and efficiently turn those sales into billing services. This will involve project management (both for customer-facing projects as well as internal projects) and also strategy and execution of our provisioning operation. Our provisioning team gathers info from customers, sets up our on-prem network equipment, and ships it to our customers for use. With close collaboration with our sales team, you’ll ensure that these steps are done effectively and that we’re meeting or exceeding customer and sales partner expectations.
- IT Systems and Processes: You will be the trusted owner of our internal IT systems and processes. From routine needs such as laptop computers, to sophisticated systems like our ERP system, to key security areas such as IS policies and network security, you’ll ensure that our IT system and process have sound strategy behind them and that the needs are met. You’ll work in close collaboration with all other teams on these needs, such as the finance and sales teams for our ERP system, and the development and network teams for security.
- Physical Needs: There are a number of physical needs across the business that you’ll ensure are met. The most unique is our customer-prem network equipment (routers and switches). You’ll work with our router ODM vendors to lead the design, sourcing, and fulfillment of this equipment. You’ll also maintain strong relationships with several other key vendors, including our server and network providers. In addition to those unique needs, you’ll also care for our more routine needs of receiving, inventory, shipping, physical office facilities, and other physical operations. In all of these areas, you’ll continually be looking ahead to our future and growth path to ensure we’re well prepared and can adapt as things change.
- (Optional) Network and Support Leadership: Depending on your work experience, this aspect of the business might be best situated as part of your role, or we may keep it as a separate team with its own leader on our executive team. If we bring this area under your oversight, you’ll be responsible for our technical support and network operations. We stand out by providing excellent service to our customers, eliminating the typical finger-pointing seen in IT, through skillful troubleshooting and true care for our customers. In this role you’ll strategically guide our technical support and network teams, ensuring that they are well integrated with each other and with our development team. Bigleaf has a heavy “DevOps” mix of collaboration between all three of these teams, and you’ll use your operational leadership experience to build and mature that collaboration as we scale. Our customers expect outstanding network reliability and performance, so you’ll ensure that our network and support experiences meet or exceed expectations, including SLAs and targets to support sales activity.
- At least 10 years of experience leading and scaling tech business operations, with some of that as part of a high-growth venture-backed startup.
- At least 2 years of experience leading physical IT operations in a public-facing IT environment, such as a datacenter, internet carrier, CDN, or other service provider.
- Experience implementing and managing internal-facing IT tools, including ERP systems, CRM systems, and data analytics systems.
- Experience managing physical inventory, shipping, and receiving
- Knowledge of and experience implementing IT Service Management practices such as ITIL
- A passion for serving customers and team members in a humble and consultative manner
- Demonstrated care for and experience in the professional and personal development of team members
- Strong ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical people in written and spoken English
- Self-starter approach to identifying and accomplishing goals
- Basic understanding of networking and internet fundamentals
- Basic understanding of information security
- Ability to be on-call for escalation matters
- Ability to travel occasionally (a few times per year)
- Experience sourcing and managing relationships with ODM network device vendors
- Experience managing information security teams, policies, and/or systems
- Project Management experience
- ITIL or other IT Service Management certifications
If interested in the optional Network and Support aspect of the role, we’ll also look for:
- Experience leading public-facing network operations/engineering, and technical support teams
- Strong understanding of networking and internet routing
- Understanding of how specific network issues affect application performance (e.g. how does packet loss affect TCP throughput? Or what are the effects of jitter on VoIP?)
This is a very exciting period of growth for our team. We appreciate you taking the time to carefully read through this ad. Our vision is to bring peace into the lives of our customers through advanced technology and excellent service. If you would like to join us in this role please send along a resume and cover letter/email of how you meet the qualifications above and why you’re interested. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and a stock options plan.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and feel it makes our teams stronger, so if you meet the qualifications for this role please feel free to apply.