Lumen Learning is a young, growing company looking to expand our capacity in how we support customers using our courseware products. We are seeking individuals with great people skills, strong technical background, and a can-do approach to helping faculty members and students become extraordinarily successful using Lumen course materials.
We are doing something that has not been done before. We’re using technology, learning design informed by data, and openly licensed content to enable unprecedented learning results and opportunities for all students, regardless of economic background. Ever buy a college textbook? We think that hundreds of dollars is too much—and for many people the cost is an impassable barrier. We eliminate the need for expensive textbooks with a rich online learning experience that costs twenty-five bucks or less. In 2017 we saved students fifteen million dollars—we have our sights set on one billion.
Every day our work requires creativity, discipline, drive, teamwork, and immense flexibility. Check out our company values. If you’re a fit and if you want to work on something really important with other amazing people who exemplify those values, get in touch.
We offer a great benefits package including flexible time off, work autonomy, 401k matching, and health benefits with fully paid premium for employees. Our HQ office in downtown Portland offers plenty of nourishment for the mind and body.
Lumen is proudly based in Portland, Oregon. Ideally this position is based in your home office in the eastern or central US, with occasional trips to customer sites and the HQ office for collaboration, training, and skill-building in support of our customers’ success.
As a Technical Support Analyst, you’ll work directly with Lumen clients and fellow team members to deliver course materials into institutional learning environments and resolve support requests related to technical integration, performance, training, and know-how using Lumen courseware products. You will work with Lumen product managers, course designers, directors of teaching and learning, and regional executive directors to provide excellent customer care and technical support.
As an organization that continually breaks new ground, we acknowledge we have much to learn, and we strive for continuous improvement in everything we do. Your work will include managing and improving support systems and processes for receiving, documenting, triaging, and resolving support inquiries.
We are choosy about the people we ask to join us—we’re looking for creative and optimistic problem solvers who naturally collaborate, don’t require a lot of direction, and increase the diversity of the team.
This position is a member of Lumen’s Adoption Team, reporting to Vice President of Strategy & Communication, who manages the Customer Support function.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Manage front-line support inquiries, triage requests, and resolve or route them to the right team members to get them resolved.
- Troubleshoot and solve technical problems for customers and the Lumen team. Collaborate with internal contacts, customers, and/or partners to diagnose issues and identify the appropriate support path, priority, and resolution.
- Follow up promptly and accurately with customers to resolve issues in accordance with published service level agreements (SLAs) and protocols; record and document interactions, problems, and resolutions.
- Install, maintain, and troubleshoot around Lumen courseware, learning management systems and other learning technologies, and LTI integration.
- Orient, educate, and assist customers when they are setting up or experiencing trouble with courseware, software, or equipment.
- Process and analyze customer requests, to contribute to overall Lumen team intelligence about our products, customer support and related resources, and how to improve the customer experience.
- Contribute to managing and improving Lumen’s customer support knowledge base, in collaboration with other Lumen colleagues, including updating user documentation and frequently asked questions.
- Identify and implement improvements in customer support systems, processes, and communications to improve the customer experience, in collaboration with other Lumen team members.
Lumen has a bold vision and a fantastic opportunity to do important and challenging work. Do you identify with the following? If so, you should absolutely apply for this job:
- You respect and enjoy working with the people, organizations, and stakeholders unique to the higher education sector.
- You have at least one year’s experience providing technical support for college instructors and students using learning management systems and/or similar learning technology platforms.
- You are not intimidated by working across multiple platforms and technologies, or by exploring how they intersect and how to make them work together more effectively.
- You’re an excellent collaborator and problem solver who can communicate effectively about technical issues and solutions to team members and clients alike.
- You have detective-like troubleshooting skills. From the moment a ticket is submitted, you know how to ask the right questions and gather the available data to narrow down the root cause of the issue. Like Sherlock Holmes, you leave no stone unturned in figuring out what’s really going on.
- You maintain a patient, constructive and helpful demeanor when working with internal and external customers, even during high-volume windows like the back-to-school season.
- When you have a long list of tickets, and know there are more coming in, it’s tempting to work on as many as possible, without truly solving the problem at hand. You focus on the quality of the support you give, to ensure you’re actually solving problems and making happy customers.
- You bring empathy to your job. You care about how your work and attitude affects those around you: if you hurt someone, it hurts you. Everything you do runs through this filter.
- You’re an informed champion of the products you support. You’re enthusiastic about using them and understanding how they work inside and out, and you seek to improve them.
- You enjoy communicating with customers. You know it’s essential to listen and understand before being heard. You strive for transparency, and communicate with tact. You also know how to adapt your style to different kinds of customers – from those that want to be your best friend, to those that just want the problem solved.
- You’re extremely reliable. Everyone knows that when you take on a task—whether it’s huge and scary or tiny and boring—you’re going to see it through to the best of your ability.
- You like to have fun with your work and with your co-workers.
- You are comfortable working with common office technologies and software tools (e.g. Google suite, Microsoft suite)
If you have some of these too we’ll be delighted
- Strong technical knowledge of one or more leading learning management systems: Blackboard, Canvas, D2L Brightspace, Moodle
- Familiarity with learning tools integration using the IMS Global LTI standard
- Familiarity using Zendesk or a similar support ticketing system to triage and resolve inquiries
- Familiarity with WordPress, or better yet, PressBooks
To apply, send your cover letter and resume.