moovel North America is an urban mobility company helping make cities smarter. We’re a corporate start-up within the Daimler ecosystem pioneering the next era of mobility. Every day we help improve the lives of local communities through accessible and delightful user experiences within our city-branded mobility applications. Our vision is a planet without traffic jams. It’s a lofty goal, but one that inspires us every day to bring to life. By partnering with cities, public transit agencies, and end users worldwide, we’re helping transform cities by providing convenient and sustainable solutions powered by our Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) platform.
We’re looking for a VP of Engineering to help shape the future of mobility together. We provide an epic space that fosters collaboration and creativity in one of the coolest buildings in downtown Portland. We’ve got all the perks of tech with a stocked kitchen, an open and flexible work environment, fun extracurricular activities and a unique culture that puts people first. What we’re looking for is exceptional people who share a passion for developing creative solutions that advance our mission and vision. As moovel’s next VP of Engineering you’ll be responsible for building and leading high performing teams that predictably and efficiently deliver high quality products that delight customers. In this position you will report directly to the CTO.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Grow, mentor, and inspire our world-class engineering team of software managers and engineers to develop moovel’s innovative mobility-as-a-service (MaaS) and mobile transit ticketing solutions
- Provide team leadership, including technical skill development, issue resolution, and mentoring for development managers
- Drive Agile software development process, delivering superior business results through a consistent stream of on-time, high quality software releases and products
- Partner with cross-functional stakeholders to ensure requirements clarity, design clarity, and drive technical planning and execution of the product roadmap development through testing and production release
- Work closely with product line leadership team to ensure product development investments are consistent with the organization's strategic direction
- Provide strong technical direction by evaluating and guiding product strategy, design, and development across projects
- Work cross-functionally to support the production incident response and coordination processes to maintain exceptional quality-of-service consistent with the company’s SLAs and robust audit requirements.
- Champion continuous improvement for your organization, set priorities, and remove obstacles to enable your staff to operate efficiently and reach its full potential
- Help development teams understand the business vision and strategy, ensure teams have clear priorities and adequate resources
- Drive and facilitate architecture, design, planning and scheduling
- Lead the Engineering Community of Practice for the organization, supporting processes and practices and systems for technical knowledge sharing, on-boarding/education, references, and communications as well the company’s support for external community of practice such as meetups, technical groups, and support diversity and recruiting events.
- Recruit, hire, and mentor exceptional software engineering talent
- Work cross-functionally and diplomatically in a multi-national complex organization to align and coordinate product development and engineering across diverse international teams
- Communicate regular status, risks, and propose mitigation strategies to cross-functional stakeholders and executive leadership
- Provide full budget forecasting and tracking for the development organization
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- 12+ years of hands-on software development experience
- 8+ years of experience managing multiple teams
- Experience managing multiple projects with competing priorities
- Proven ability to execute, lead and manage change
- Coached managers through key formative management experiences
- Helped to build teams, re-org teams, and design new team structures and processes
- Previously driven major architectural changes or new product launches that spanned many teams and locations
- Led full budget forecasting and resource planning initiatives
- Understanding of mobile application publishing
- Proficiency in JIRA, Confluence, Source Control (Git)
- Expertise in Agile development methodologies
- Practical experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Experience with mobile and web application development
- Knowledge of RESTful APIs
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases
- Understanding of the AWS stack
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude
- A passion for technology with a solid understanding of the solutions and trends
Special Information (Travel required, physical requirements, etc.):
- Additional hours as necessary to accomplish objectives, goals and projects
- Travel required: 0-10% of the time
Who We Are:
Headquartered in Portland, OR, moovel N.A. offers competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability benefits at no cost to employees. We also offer a generous holiday schedule with four weeks of PTO annually. Our compensation program includes an 8% retirement contribution, an annual bonus program and competitive base salaries.
In addition to the more traditional benefits, we offer transit, gym and cell phone allowances, in-office meals and snacks, ping-pong, a welcoming environment for dogs of all sizes and many other perks. You will also have the opportunity to work with a diverse team in our Portland office as well as our parent company based in Stuttgart, Germany.
Our office is centrally located in the heart of Old Town, bike friendly, and within walking distance to a multitude of restaurants, bars, and shops. The Portland Streetcar and TriMet offer easy-to-use transit services connecting the downtown Portland district to the Pearl District and greater Downtown Portland.
moovel provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, moovel complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.