moovel North America is an urban mobility company helping make cities smarter. We’re a corporate start-up within the Daimler ecosystem pioneering the next era of mobility. Every day we help improve the lives of local communities through accessible and delightful user experiences within our city-branded mobility applications. Our vision is a planet without traffic jams. It’s a lofty goal, but one that inspires us every day to bring to life. By partnering with cities, public transit agencies, and end users worldwide, we’re helping transform cities by providing convenient and sustainable solutions powered by our Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) platform.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer (R&D) to help shape the future of mobility together. We provide an epic space that fosters collaboration and creativity in one of the coolest buildings in downtown Portland. We’ve got all the perks of tech with a stocked kitchen, an open and flexible work environment, fun extracurricular activities and a unique culture that puts people first. What we’re looking for is exceptional people who share a passion for developing creative solutions that advance our mission and vision. As moovel’s next Software Engineer (R&D) you’ll be responsible for building and supporting backend services related to the Fare Connect product to expand moovel’s MaaS footprint, collaborating with a separate Product Engineering team to implement and support Fare Connect catalog features, and productizing future R&D features/products.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Contributing to the design and development of new products and services
- Utilizing your technical expertise to help solve problems and propose solutions
- Contributing to architecture and technical solution design
- Supporting existing products and services that people are using everyday
- Applying development best practices to your work
- Building everything from embedded software to web services and client apps
- Working independently turning ideas into software
- Improving the performance, availability, and overall quality of our platform
- Working with relational and NoSQL databases
- Writing and optimizing database queries
- Sometimes working with Product Managers to understand requirements
- Estimating level of effort and story points to support planning
- Working collaboratively in an agile cross-functional team
- Other duties as required by the company
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- 3+ years of hands-on development experience
- Understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and concepts
- Hands-on experience with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience in various system architectures including monolith, micro-service, and serverless.
- Strong understanding of network communications and RESTful principles
- Experience and expertise with source control (git)
- Command line proficiency including shell scripting
- Understanding of the AWS stack
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Strong understanding of Development Operations and Quality Assurance
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject
- Familiarity with JIRA, Confluence or similar tools
- Practical experience with web development using multiple frameworks
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Experience/Understanding with data pipelines and data streams (Kinesis or Kafka)
- Experience with virtualization and containers (Docker)
- Mobile development (Android or iOS) is a plus
- Comfortable with autonomy
- Desire to learn and teach
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Positive attitude and a willingness to step into legacy code base
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment
- Ability to be productive with multiple languages, frameworks and paradigms
- Willingness and capacity to learn new frameworks and languages quickly
Special Information (Travel required, physical requirements, etc.):
- Additional hours as necessary to accomplish objectives, goals and projects
- Travel Required: 0-5% of the time
Who We Are:
Headquartered in Portland, OR, moovel N.A. offers competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability benefits at no cost to employees. We also offer a generous holiday schedule with four weeks of PTO annually. Our compensation program includes an 8% retirement contribution, an annual bonus program and competitive base salaries.
In addition to the more traditional benefits, we offer transit, gym and cell phone allowances, in-office meals and snacks, ping-pong, a welcoming environment for dogs of all sizes and many other perks. You will also have the opportunity to work with a diverse team in our Portland office as well as our parent company based in Stuttgart, Germany.
Our office is centrally located in the heart of Old Town, bike friendly, and within walking distance to a multitude of restaurants, bars, and shops. The Portland Streetcar and TriMet offer easy-to-use transit services connecting the downtown Portland district to the Pearl District and greater Downtown Portland.
moovel provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, moovel complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.