Software Engineer in Operations
If you have a strong linux background, software engineering experience, want to grow your advanced networking skills, and want to be a part of a fast-growing company, this might be the role for you.
Welcome to Bigleaf – we keep businesses connected to the cloud. Wonder how that works? Check out the videos on our homepage: http://www.bigleaf.net
Our service is growing quickly and we have big plans. We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our operational team.
Bigleaf is a well-funded fast-growing startup, so your day-to-day tasks will vary quite a bit and you’ll wear multiple hats, but here’s an overview:
This is a full-time position based at our corporate office in Beaverton, Oregon.
• Systems Infrastructure Management and Scaling: Our platform is built on co-located servers and network equipment, cloud VMs, and customer-premises network appliances. On top of those elements we run Linux operating systems and custom software. In this role you’ll be responsible for managing, troubleshooting, and scaling our server/systems infrastructure. Many of our system elements are automated already to some degree, but you’ll mature the automation systems, migrate to new versions, and automate tasks that are still done manually. We use Puppet, Ansible, and several other tools for automation, and we’re fans of Python.
• Monitoring: We extensively monitor our infrastructure and services to ensure a good customer experience. You’ll be responsible for our monitoring infrastructure and practices, ensuring smooth scaling, all the appropriate elements are being monitored, and that team members (including you) get the alerts they should without the noise they shouldn’t.
• Application and Service Delivery: You’ll be responsible for the delivery, troubleshooting, scaling, and automation of our services, including DNS, our web application, and many internal services that support our public-facing ones. You’ll coordinate releases and scaling mechanisms, ensuring consistent reliability and performance. In this role you’ll create and modify scripts and other software to accomplish goals.
• Research and Development: As we continue to scale and add new functionality, we’ll rely on you to help guide how we deliver our services. You’ll stay up to date on the latest trends and patterns in server hardware, cloud hosting, application delivery, and other relevant topics, and you’ll test out new solutions that you think could fit our needs well.
• Support and Internal IT: You’ll occasionally assist our network operations and support team with escalated customer technical support matters, helping drive complex network and systems troubleshooting situations to a resolution. You’ll also take ownership of our internal IT systems and processes – most of which are Cloud-based and lightweight, so this will be a minor part of your role. You’ll ensure a healthy new-employee sign-up process and protect the business by ensuring proper backup and security measures are in place.
• A strong attitude of service towards co-workers and customers
• At least 4 years of experience in relevant software engineering/operational roles
• Experience with Puppet and scaling internet-facing server infrastructure
• Experience with shell scripting and at least one programming language
• Strong understanding of Linux, including the Linux networking subsystem (we primarily use Debian and OpenWRT)
• Experience with Cloud environments such as AWS and Linode, and physical server hardware management
• Experience with SQL and Postgres
• Self-starter approach to identifying and accomplishing goals
• Natural ability to incrementally troubleshoot technical problems
• Understanding of networking fundamentals
• Strong desire to learn and grow
• Ability to participate in an on-call rotation
This is a very exciting period of growth for our team. We appreciate you taking the time to carefully read through this ad. Our vision is to bring peace into the lives of our customers through advanced technology and excellent service. If you would like to join us in this role please send along a resume and cover letter/email of how you meet the qualifications above and why you’re interested. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and a stock options plan.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and feel it makes our teams stronger, so if you meet the qualifications for this role please feel free to apply.