Energy Storage Systems (ESS) is a fast-growing, clean technology company, located in
Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an advanced flow battery technology for
commercial, industrial, and utility applications. With a team that boasts decades of
experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies, ESS has
developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines a
safe, abundant and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. This
combination of high performance with low cost means that ESS’s technology is ideally
suited for applications that range in size from retail energy management to utility-scale
ESS is looking for a motivated and versatile Electrical Engineer to join our team. Our
current program scope involves the design, development, installation, evaluation and
documentation of large-scale battery systems. The responsibilities below define the
current needs in a dynamic company with lots of room for future career growth.
• Lead electrical engineer. Provide technical support on complicated power and
• Required to have expert knowledge of AC power, 3 phase power, power
conversion, DC circuits, motors, power technology, and industrial control
• Responsible for the design, modeling, specification, and testing of low to medium
voltage industrial electrical power systems and equipment.
• Apply standard engineering knowledge, techniques, and formulae to create and
interpret designs, calculations, drawings, sketches, and documents of complex
all iron redox flow battery systems.
• Prepare electrical designs and cost estimates covering new, repair, maintenance,
and improvement of electric, electronic, and electro-mechanical equipment and
Perform technical review of designs and documents. Perform system checkout,
operational tests and determine adjustments to newly installed or modified
equipment and controls.
• Knowledgeable in low voltage analog circuit design, grounding techniques,
feedback and control theory, filtering, noise reduction techniques, EMI, and
embedded controller design.
• Statistical analysis, as well as strong general mathematical background.
• Ability to use oscilloscopes, DVMs, signal generators, spectrum analyzers, etc.
• You must be highly motivated self-starter who needs minimal direction and works
well with multi-disciplinary teams.
• Requires a BS Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering with at least 3 years of
experience with industrial scale power systems.
• Working knowledge of NEC and other codes related to power system design.
• Proficient in using Autocad Electrical or similar CAD package to draft wiring
• Experience with inverters, transformers, panels, and other power distribution
• Experience with taking medium scale projects through the field certification
• Experience with battery or fuel cell systems a plus.
• Work independently and proactively. Have good interpersonal and
communication skills to work effectively with a small, dynamic team responsible
for product development.
• U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency