Customer.io’s mission is to power the world’s automated communications that people love to receive.
Today, we do this with an app that allows businesses with many users to send targeted, more relevant communication at scale. We’re a geo-distributed team of 40 across 10 different time zones, and we’re looking for an Operations Specialist to assist with HR, billing and bookkeeping needs. You can read more about what it’s like to work here on our careers page.
You, our new Operations Specialist:
You will be responsible all things HR administrative work, Admin, and Billing; leading the re-organization of our customer contract process, improving our billing processes, and upholding our HR policies in a way that strengthens our company culture, values and the success of the full team. Building strong relationships with our entire remote team and working cohesively with our Operations Department will ensure you’re supported and successful and that your work is aligned with company goals.
You’ll be working in:
- TriNet and Ceridian - professional employer organizations - working in their tool and communication with our reps to make sure payroll, benefits and compliance are running smoothly.
- Basecamp - documenting processes, proposing ideas, giving long-form feedback on projects, and sharing knowledge with the team all happens here.
- Google Apps - almost all of our internal documentation lives in Google Suite - being familiar with these tools will be to your benefit.
- Stripe - third party payment processor - you’ll be spending a lot of time in Stripe working with our customers’ invoices and subscriptions.
- Help Scout - Support inbox - all customer-facing emails will be drafted and sent in Help Scout.
- Customer.io (our product!) - you’ll be using our product to investigate customer problems and update account states when needed. We also use our own product to automate notifications to customers about their past due invoices. You’ll be encouraged and empowered to automate as many processes as you can in our own app!
You’ll report to our VP of Operations, Maggie Hubbell, and be mentored by Sonja Beardsley on most of your day to day work.
What skills will you bring to the table?
We’re looking for someone who has worked in accounts payable, accounts receivable, or in an administrative position before. This person is responsible for overseeing confidential information that supports both our employees and our customers.
Bonus points if you’ve worked...
- for a globally distributed team before and understand some of the complexities of workers’ rights and employment law around the world
- Are self-driven and finding ways to make an impact without all the dots connected for you already.
When growing our team, we’re also looking for a new perspective and a strong opinion—whether it’s creating a new doning process, working with the Sales and CS depts to streamline the customer contract process, or building out an employee handbook with policies that align with our culture.
Wondering about the specifics? Here are a few of the details…
Employee Benefits and HR Assistant
- Manage bi-monthly payroll through our US and Canadian payroll services, and monthly payment to Contractors
- The first point of escalation for any employee disagreements, disputes or performance issues
- Improve and maintain employee handbook
- Be familiar with employment regulations as well as any specific considerations in the jurisdictions in which we operate.
Billing and Bookkeeping
- Assist Financial Controller and contracted CPAs with Taxes (U.S. and Canada)
- Manage the Billing Inbox in HelpScout and keep unpaid invoice rate to less than 1% monthly.
- Improve and maintain the system for Customer Contracts, including manual invoices.
- Itemize monthly credit card expenses for Financial Controller
- Point of contact for the Pittock Block Building management and all sublessors
- Keep kitchen stocked, well organized, and neat
- Ensure all shared rooms are tidy, have all the supplies and equipment they need
Communication and collaboration are the foundations of Customer.io. We want to talk to you about getting to know an excellent group of people here and moving them in a meaningful direction with your work.
Customer.io is growing; if you’re looking for a work environment where processes are set in stone, you won’t find it here. But we’d want you to contribute to that also, to help us define the processes which help us build a great product.
Why should you work with Customer.io?
Work some of the time in our Portland Headquarters Portland. Work at home from time to time, too. We want to enable you to do your best work, and this is how we aim to do that—
Competitive salary - We’re offering $48,000-$62,000 USD for this position in the company depending on experience and qualifications.
Equity - You'll own a piece of the company that you help create. You’ll be recognized for your contributions by earning equity in the company.
Big Impact - Our team is small, but growing quickly. The work you do will materially impact how successful we are as a company.
Great Tools - Everyone in the company has an Apple computer and you’ll be working from the downtown Portland office which has a sweet set up for you! Complete with motorized sit/stand Jarvis desk, Steelcase chair, monitor, and other tools to get the job done.
Health Benefits - We pay 100% of your premiums for you and your family for medical, dental and vision and short and long-term disability.
Paid Parental & Medical Leave - including adoption
Retreats - We get our whole company together twice a year. We've had retreats in Barcelona, Romania, Hunter Mountain, Chicago, Iceland, and Portland, Oregon.
Vacation - Rest and recuperation are important. We offer 4 weeks of paid vacation with flexibility for more.
At Customer.io, we’re committed to building a diverse environment. So far, we have team members in France, Germany, Canada, India, Pakistan, Australia and all over the US. Our CEO and CTO grew up in Singapore and Arkansas respectively and met in New York City. Our company culture is always evolving; people from different backgrounds bring valued perspectives and thoughtfulness to the work that we do and the culture we foster.
Customer.io provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Customer.io complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Basically, we follow the law, but also like you for who you are!
Come Join Us!
Apply below with your resume, and make sure you tell us why you’re interested in the position! We’ve added a few questions that will also help us understand how you think.